Selling a car for cash any advice

laois1

A relative has a car for sale. Worth about 11 k. Advertised it on line and an interested party is due to see in the next few days. He appears very keen and wants to drive it straight away as he is travelling a distance. Says he will pay in cash. I thought it was a lot of cash to be carrying around and thought a draft with a few days for it to clear in the bank would have been a better arrangement. My relative is also worried about receiving forged notes. Any advice ?

Get the buyer to purchase the draft at a local branch of his Bank and go with them to get it, do not accept bank drafts from strangers, alternatively have the funds wired to your bank getting a fair deposit say €300 for the car in advance of providing your details., I have done both previously and will again in the future, a genuine buyer has no problems with either practice.

Beware and don't get carried away with a quick sale to repent later, keep the goods until you are paid in full.

Get the buyer to purchase the draft at a local branch of his Bank and go with them to get it, do not accept bank drafts from strangers, alternatively have the funds wired to your bank getting a fair deposit say €300 for the car in advance of providing your details., I have done both previously and will again in the future, a genuine buyer has no problems with either practice.

Beware and don't get carried away with a quick sale to repent later, keep the goods until you are paid in full.

Not a notion I'd be paying €300 quid deposit to a stranger!

I sold a car last week, was paid in cash. It wasn't as much as 11K, but still a decent wedge of cash. I have previously bought a car with bank draft also. Whichever you feel comfortable with. If he is bringing 11K in cash, simply drive to the bank with them and deposit it on the spot. It'll be verified by bank then, simple.

I would not hold a car I had for sale without a deposit, learned that the hard way, payment in full preferred but often not likely at the time a sale price is agreed, absent this a deposit secures the car balance to follow, no exceptions.

Back