Installing iOS 8 easily on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

PatMacG

can edit posts
I've just gone through the pain and frustration of trying (and failing!!) to install iOS 8 via iTunes.

Please save yourselves the bother and install this major update using the Over-the-Air or OTA update mechanism. You'll need a decent WiFi connection and you can update your devices in parallel rather than serially with iTunes. Make sure the devices are fully charged or plugged into the mains and that all your apps are updated for iOS 8 compatibility too.

From the Home Screen, go to the Settings app, then to “General”, and then to “Software Update”
Choose “Download & Install” when iOS 8 update notification appears
The OTA download is close to 1GB in size and requires nearly 5GB of free storage space on your device to install. Figure on 90 mins elapsed time

It'll be a long day before I upgrade to iOS8. I only went to 7 about six months ago. It broke the tethering/Personal Hotspot facility on the iPhone. I only got that fixed the other day. I also hate the user interface of iOS7 compared to 6. And, of course, iOS7 is the end of the road for the iPhone 4 which can't take the iOS8 update, and I'd prefer the iPad to be running the same OS as the phone. Have lost a lot of love for Apple of late. I won't be buying the Watch. ;)

I'm only downloading it because LastPass works on Safari on ioS8. It's been a bit of a pain because it requires so much space to download, so I've had to back up and delete loads

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Strange. Updated my 4S last night over the air and it went swimmingly if a little slowly. About 90 minutes all done. I haven't noticed any noticeable performance issues and actually think battery performance has improved somewhat.

With my iPad Air I updated it through iTunes overnight and it was all done and dusted when I checked this morning.

For those that don't like IOS8 or find their device a little sluggish, it's worth remembering that the window for reverting back to IOS7 only remains open for another 24 hours or so.

Back