Good price/spec for this laptop.

landlord

Over in the states next week and wondering if this is a good deal for this clearance laptop from best buy. Includes a one year guarantee. Cost 339 dollars plus tax. Equivalent in Euro is approx 300 Euro.

HP - Elitebook 8440p 14.1" Refurbished Laptop - Intel Core i5 - 4GB Memory - 250GB Hard Drive - Gray
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Model: hppc0020001u

Personally I like HP, and the i5 processor will have some oomph, but the memory and especially the disk spec are not impressive. I wouldn't buy this myself. For a hundred euro or so more you will get a brand new HP Pavilion off the shelf in Ireland, without the worry of getting stopped at customs. You'll get the same memory and twice the disk, and a bigger screen, although admittedly only an i3 CPU. But unless you have special requirements the i3 is perfectly adequate. (I have both an i3 and an i5 myself). I'd justify the extra to have an enforceable warranty -- how are you going to avail of a one year warranty on a refurbished machine bought in the States?

However, it comes down to what you will use it for. Most casual users these days want more storage for movies etc. than processing power for demanding tasks. Your refurb is more limited in storage, and will probably have USB2 instead of USB3 ports which makes quite a difference in speed if you buy add-on storage.

Hi Dub Nerd. Thanks for the reply. I am over in the States on average once a week and sometimes more often than that!! so not concerned over the warranty.
I was thinking of upgrading the Ram to 8 Gig and possibly the harddrive space too? Would that be expensive? I will certainly have a good luck at Harvey Norman, PC world and Currirs to see what spec I can get for 300 to 400 ish Euro. I don't want a bigger screen as I will be travelling with it. Thanks again.

I will certainly have a good luck at Harvey Norman, PC world and Currirs to see what spec I can get for 300 to 400 ish Euro.
None of the above will beat your current spec at the same price point. i5 is a great cpu, Win7 better than Win8, 4GB is plenty unless you're doing a lot of heavy number crunching, video file manipulation or running virtual machines, even a 250GB might be enough for you depending on what you intend to use it for . . "Refurbished" is the word I don't like here. If my budget was tight I'd be more inclined to buy a new i3 than a refurbished i5 laptop.

We've heard of APPLE,just never heard of an apple laptop for 300 Euros!
Very TRUE :)

“The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.”

A warranty for the cheap laptop is required as a main board failure is very expensive to get repaired,

Have you guys never heard of APPLE?

I bought the newly updated MacBook Pro in California 4 weeks ago, determined to learn the Mac philosophy. I'm not saying it's not a great machine but I just didn't have time to learn how to operate it. So I sold it a few days ago. I think I'm just a Microsoft Windows man through and through.

Anybody know how much it cost to upgrade from 4 to 8 gig of ram?
Also to increase hard drive space from 250 Gig to say 1 TB?

Use www.crucial.com to check the prices for your machine and the upgrade you want. I use crucial a bit and have found the stuff to be good quality and fairly priced compared to locally bought parts.

Back