Cuba

nbc

Hi Guys- Going to cuba as a last minute think end of July. Getting a little nervous over a couple of issues- Can anyone help?

1) Weather hot and humid- do most hotels have air-con? I assume if we stay in people's homes they won't have?
2) What website best to book hotels there and is it reliable? Hotels.com and booking.com dont feature cuba.
3) I cant seem to book car-hire through a normal agency. There are cuban sites but don't know if they're dodgy and appear expensive.
4) What's best way to manage money? ATM's ok? Can I buy some before travel?
5) What should i do? Planning on flying into Havana and out again. There for 10 days.
6) Can I get a visa online? I'm irish but living in London. Does it take long?
Cheers guys!
NBC

I have been several times. Love the people and the place. you will see how much you have in many respects when you go there. Once you are ok with being haggled to come to my house and see this.
My advice is to stay in private houses, as you will be giving the money to the private people who need it more. they have to pay exorbitant tax whether the rooms are rented or not and also they are good value. Some private homes have air con others not, just ask and say you want it.
You can also eat at private houses, but when I was there you had to order the day before for breakfast or the morning possibly for the evening meals. Brilliant food at the guest houses. Also at hotels you will be waiting forever and I mean forever.
My advice would be to stay at a hotel the first night, we stayed at hotel Lido or Lincoln the first night and then went down country by train normally and get a mix of bus and private taxi back.If you are traveling alone or with one or two others it is easy.
I always took cash, US dollars in small denominations, including lots of ones and fives.I think you can get money out from banks to ATM's, but used to be a pain.
Last time we went to Santiago in the south and then traveled west and spotted a little island off the coast. got a boat out to it, stayed the night and had brilliant food. sleep with the door open and during the night you would see guys fishing during the night.
We always took colouring books, colouring pencils, soap, shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrushes, basic meds, plasters, headache tabs etc and it would be really appreciated. a lovely people, I was only saying a couple of days ago I would love to go back.
How much are tickets now, or do you mind me ask? Not sure about visas or if you can get them on arrival. have fun.

Went there on honeymoon, loved it. At an all inclusive place in Varadero for a week and then did some touring.

Havana is v interesting, feels safe although obviously not wealthy. Dont remember any hassle over visas, I'd say they are just glad to have you. A big thing at the time (2005) was to have something other than your passport stamped, in case you needed to go to the US in the future. I think you got another form they'd stamp instead. This may be less of an issue now since Obama has, to some extent, liberalised travel.

Think we brought cash or travellers cheques, all USD, dont recall using any ATM's.

Hope this answers some of your questions:-

They didn't stamp my passport at all. Remember to take some photocopies of your passport. It's mandatory at all times to have identification on you.

You can get the Visa through Visafirst or one of those companies....costs around €15.

It's mandatory to have travel insurance. You need to be able to produce proof of same or you may be refused entry to the country.

I have no idea why anyone would suggest bringing US$ to Cuba !!! Unless things have changed dramatically since I've been 3 yrs ago, you pay extra comission for changing dollar notes in Bureau de Change plus extra when using ATM's. Also they do not accept Travellers Cheques drawn on US banks or US Credit Cards. Yes, they are probably happy to take any cash they can get............but it's much easier to just bring Euro or in your case Stg. (They will not accept NI or Scottish Stg) You can exchange at the airport, banks and most hotels.

Remember there's a huge difference between Convertible Pesos (CUC's) and local Pesos. If you go to some of the cheaper shops/restaurants for locals you will pay the same amount in CUC's as the locals pay in Pesos...........effectively you're paying 24 times what they pay!! Work away if you like but the quality of the food is poorer. Some of the private house restaurants are really fantastic.

Be sure to bring any medication you might need - including for the ladies any tampax etc. Their version of such items is a bit like our grannies used to use!! They have wonderful doctors but sometimes drugs are not available..so be prepared.

You will find women begging for soap and kids looking for pens so these items will be very welcome if you feel like bringing gifts.

Try Tripadvisor for hotel suggestions. Some of the US booking sites may not do Cuba. US citizens can visit Cuba now but only on special programmes and guided tours (they are only allowed to see what is pre-approved)

It's a fascinating country and I'm so glad I visited. It will make you grateful for the freedom we have here.............if we have difficulties with our politicians at least we can voice the objections without fear of being imprisioned!

Enjoy your trip.

A few points:-
Visa can take about 14days so get onto it quickly.
You cannot get Convertible Pesos outside of Cuba..........no point in bringing any home either unless you want it for a souvenir.
It will be really hot and humid. Most hotels have AC but the local way of keeping cool seems to be sitting on the veranda in your vest :)
When you stay in the resorts you might as well be in Spain, Portugal or wherever. It's a holiday resort on the beach, though I must say the sea is fabulous. Crystal clear and warm. Do try and see some of the real country though.

Thanks

Guys,
Really appreciate all the advice .
Have my visa- Went to cuban embassy in London and had it in 15 mins and only cost £15. Fly out tomorrow so quite excited. :)
Nbc

I was there about 9 years ago and at the time US$ was the currency of use but from what I hear, it was banned since. I came across the convertible Pesos once and never once seen the local currency.

I got my visa from the Cuban consulate on Adelaide Road; just turned up, filled in a form and it was processed there and then. €20, if I remember correctly.

Cuba is a great country and I could spend the next half hour talking about it but I instead I will just one piece of advice, stay away from Varadero, it is not the real Cuba. It is ok for a couple of days relaxing on the beach at some point during the holiday but you are missing out on a more authentic Cuban experience by staying in the likes of Havana, Trinidad, Vinales etc

Havana

Thinking of going to Havana for a week , would anyone who had been there lately have any tips , dos donts etc etc

Back