I want a job I can leave behind me at 5.30?

MargeSimpson

After nearly 2 decades working in 'IT' I think I've had enough. Late hours, out of hours, constant up skilling - think I'm burned out.
I would love a job that I can walk away from at the end of the day and leave it behind. Don't get me wrong, I do like a challenge, but I don't think IT is for me any more.
Would this go against me if I applied for, say for example, an operator in a factory?

I work in IT and I walk away every evening from work and don't think or worry about it till I come back in the next working day. Your problem is not going to go away by changing jobs as it's not the job, it's your nature I'm afraid.

I sometimes feel the same as the OP. I also agree its your/own nature. I often times find myself thinking about how I'm going to code something the next day while at home watching TV etc.

I think moving into something like an operator in a factory would become very boring very quickly, not to mention surely paying less?

I sympathise. You need to careful plot your next career move.

I've worked in IT on companies where the norm is long hours and American customers expecting you to answer the phone and reply to queries at 7pm or much later.
I have also worked in companies where the entire IT department goes home at 5.30 apart from twice a year where there is a release.

Look to move away from your current role to a different type of role or a different industry still using your IT skills.
Do you use Agile ? If so, Could you train as a scrum master ?
Could you get a job in IT support with very regular hours ?
Would you be interested in going into training ?

Talk to an agency and see what is out there.

I work in IT and I walk away every evening from work and don't think or worry about it till I come back in the next working day. Your problem is not going to go away by changing jobs as it's not the job, it's your nature I'm afraid.

Me too! My work phone goes off at 5:30 and does not go back on until 8:30 the next morning and of course at weekends it remains off. And if anyone comes looking for something I simply say something like: "OK I'll have a look at that for you tomorrow morning, as I'm leaving now" - after it happens a few times, I find that people start to come to me earlier in the morning with their problems or else they make it a point of scheduling time with you etc...

There will always be the odd occasion when overtime etc is genuinely needed, but it should not be the norm. And you should not accept it.

I left teaching for your very reason..too much out of contact hours work involved...I now am self employed n yes, once door closed im finished, luckily I can get 99per cent of things done while on work hours...good luck in your decision, I know when I handed in my notice I felt estatic, huge weight off my shoulders, last pay check in that august was a worry but id things planned for it..good luck in whatever you decide...

Very interesting view.

If I am looking for a solution to a particular problem, I will think about it at any time of the day or night.

If I were stacking shelves in Tescos, I would not be thinking about it after I leave the shop. I might well be thinking about the way I am being treated by my boss, but that is different.

Brendan

I didn't expect this answer....
but after mulling it over the past couple of days, I actually think you are right. I just never really thought of it that way.

Thank you all for your comments and the fresh perspective. A problem shared.....

There are good materials to be had online to guide you in terms of time management, and learning to let go once you leave work. Mostly, it's about being organised, prioritising what really needs to be done and by when, and staying on top of it. If you're happy you're doing that, you'll be at peace as you leave on time.

Certain roles in IT do require constant upskilling though, especially in the areas of UI development where languages, toolsets, libraries, etc. are constantly evolving. There are plenty of other roles though where the rate of change is a lot less.

After nearly 2 decades working in 'IT' I think I've had enough. Late hours, out of hours, constant up skilling - think I'm burned out.
I would love a job that I can walk away from at the end of the day and leave it behind. Don't get me wrong, I do like a challenge, but I don't think IT is for me any more.
Would this go against me if I applied for, say for example, an operator in a factory?

Been there, Done that, wore the teeshirt. Do not ignore the obvious; you can be done without like everybody else.

You're burnt out. You have a responsibility to yourself and your family too. Don't forget that. Burn out and you'll be thrown out and out of your family too. Wise up before you do damage to yourself physically and mentally.

Work is work. You can leave it behind each day. You seem to have left everything else behind, so learn to leave your work behind. Your DNA has nothing to do with it.

Join a club, get involved in music or a choir, walk, talk to people, become a nice person (you're probably that already). Go to the beach even in December. Enjoy a coffee in a restaurant. Go to the cinema. Learn to jive. Learn public speaking. Play cards. Go to a football match. Enjoy your wife and family. If you are not married, perhaps now is the time to think of getting married?

Believe me, when your employer wants to replace you with a newer and fitter model, you will be replaced. Get your priorities right.

Back