Wages Unpaid or Left Short for the last month?

Yellow Belly

I pal of mine broke down last night & told me that he has been left unpaid or only partly paid for working in the last 4/5 weeks by his employer.

I felt so sorry for him as he is really worried about Christmas and other bills. He is owed over €1,750 at this stage and is due to be paid another €550 today but expects to only receive €200-€250 max. His boss says that he needs to keep his suppliers paid and that he will catch up unpaid wages when it gets busier? There are only 3 of them working in the business (Boss + 2 staff- both of whom are behind in wages). Personally I think this man has no intention of paying them and to be continuing to leave wages unpaid 4 weeks before Christmas to a man whom has 2 young kids is a disgrace. I am employer myself & I know it can be hard to juggle all the balls but surely staff must be looked after.

What are this man's options? They do not have a Union? Legally who should he be speaking to as this is effecting his mental health & I am really worried for him.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

The employer is clearly in breach of his contract with the employee, but there really isn't much that the law or the labour court can do for him in the short term.

His employer probably needs to pay creditors to get in Xmas supplies? If his employer does not have the money, then he can't pay everyone.

There is no short term remedy. He needs to move jobs as soon as possible. If his employer does not pay him his wages when he leaves, he can then pursue him.

Brendan

The employer seems to have one staff too many if he can pay only approx. half wages due.. He could have spoken to both staff 4/5 weeks ago and perhaps ask for new contract of split week. In that way two employees could gain some of the shortfall in SW benefits until one or both find alternative employment.

As it stands, they cannot obtain SW support of any kind as they working full time.

They both need to consult with employer together and spell out clearly how badly this arrangement is affecting them, not just financially. Did they accept this too sympathetically and have been taken advantage of ? only asking....

As the staff on the ground they probably have a good handle on how the business is going...Do they see that the turnover is inadequate to pay two weekly wages plus? Talking with the boss seems the only channel open other than quitting ....which will suit neither.

Some posters on this subject are fairly sterile in their replies. The real situation here is central. Left short wages, don't know what will happen next. The employee is in a dreadful Catch-22 situation. Remain calm or scream?

My gut feeling on this matter is that there is much more involved with the employer rather than shortage of "sales" and cashflow. I would bet that PRSI and Income Tax have also been witheld for a long time. Perhaps other deductions are not being honoured either.

No union is involved which suits the employer. Therefore, the only option available is the legal route. This employee is being screwed. Time to fight back using a solicitor I think.

Long-term, try and get another job and this time join a union.

My fear would be that the employer is catching the Christmas/January sales cash flow and when things quieten down might disappear into the sunset. He needs his staff for this busy period. If he cannot get the overdraft facilities from his bank based on a track record of similar years then things must be pretty bad. He really needs to up the pressure on his employer.

Can you tell him to contact the local Community Welfare officer, surely something can be done to help this person and his family.

Can you tell him to contact the local Community Welfare officer, surely something can be done to help this person and his family.

Totally agree, but will he get a hearing when he is actually full time employed ? By all means try.

This man's problem is that the business is small, intimate, local and probably friendly. To take a definitive stance against the employer will probably be awkward and embarrassing.

This situation is leading to desperate relationships in this this man's family .....I had experience of a very similar situation in a bygone era.

The employer needs to be engaged with full on. In my own experience when the bells were ringing, the employer was securing a very well located holiday home in Spain ..........this was way before the Celtic Tiger era.

The OP needs to tell his employer upfront of his dilemma.

Also St Vincent De Paul, maybe he won't want to go there but if it was my situation I wouldnt hesitate to go for help.

Back