Changing contract of employment

Babyboo

Hi

I've been with the same company for 8 years on a permanent basis. My employer has advised us that want to change our contract of employment to 'specified purpose contracts' that have no end date. Is this just a way to avoid paying redundancy?

Thanks
Louise

I can't answer the question, not being expert in the area, but have you asked why they want to change? If not, I would ask. No guarantee you'd get an answer, or the real answer, but surely worth asking, no?

A specified purpose contract is a temporary contract which covers a specified piece of work - e.g. 'you are employed for the specified purpose of managing x project'. There is no end date identified on specified purpose contracts as the piece of work is not defined by time but by its completion. As such, if you agree to move to this and the purpose (which has to be identified) for your contract ceases to exist your role and will also. I suspect the employer is seeking to make it easier to cull staff; however in legal terms, should they seek to end your employment, based on your length of service Statutory Redundancy (and negotiated if applicable) provisions will still apply.

Ask your employer what specified purpose they have planned for you. You will then know how long they are planning to keep you based on how long you imagine the work involved will take.

Back