Job Application -how much to disclose

Newbie!

I am currently applying for a new job which is a step down from my current role. The new job is in a separate institution and the reason I am applying is because 1: the job interests me 2: we hope to relocate as a family to that particular area.

I feel that those shortlisting candidates might wonder why I am applying for this post so should i state the relocation reason on my cover letter or is that too much info?

Hello,

I don't see why you should not be honest. Start as you mean to continue would be my approach ....

Also, if you were the potential employer, would you not be wondering why the applicant has applied - particularly, as you say your experience would suggest you could apply for more senior roles.

I would not be inclined to put relocation down.
What I would do is list your achievements that suit this role and add in other skills/experience.
eg if you list yourself as Senior Manager ., put in Manager.
If recruiters for new job see you tick all THEIR boxes ,you should get interview. The relocation issue will probably show up in interview.

I don't think a comment about relocation will have an effect on whether you get called for an interview. It might actually count against you in that they will think you are looking for this job just because you want to move and they're conveniently placed, and that you will be looking for something else once you're settled.

Back