Engine damage - would insurance pay out?

Booter

It seems that my Audi A6 may have fairly serious engine damage due to a snapped or broken air-conditioning pulley, which in turn has caused as yet undiagnosed engine damage. I'm expecting the worst!
Presuming that the cost of fixing or replacing the entire engine could well be greater than the value of the car, would the insurance policy usually cover this as a write-off? There was no accident or anything; this just happened while driving the car yesterday.

I know each policy will have its Ts & Cs but if people have a general idea of the norm in such cases.
Thanks

Last edited:
I have never heard of this kinda thing being covered under your insurance. I mean, any faults or breakages other than an accident/crash wouldnt be covered, so I would think they would see this as the same.

Guess theres no chance of a warrenty?!

Call your ins company and tell them its mechanical damage to your engine. It is 99% not covered, but there have been times where they take into concideration
1 Length of time with the company
2 Family members with same company
3 Previous no claims
Its worth 1%

Thanks for the replies folks. I know I'm clutching at straws here, although I agree its certainly worth a phone call once I know the precise nature of the damage and cost to fix if possible.

Not a prayer I'd say. Motor insurance pays out in the event of accident or theft depending on the cover selected.

It's never ever going to pay out for engine damage caused by a mechanical fault.

Back