Ryanair Hand Baggage Size Restrictions: How Strict?

Jack The Lad

Just checked in online for a Ryanair flight to Finland. Only bringing hand-luggage.

The max weight of 10kg is no problem, but my bag may be slightly larger than the 55cmx40cmx20cm limit.

How strict are Ryanair with the size limit?

Thanks.

Very, I think. I've been made put my hand luggage in that metal measuring thing, because they suspected my luggage was slightly too large..(with a view to making me check it in..)

Not really strict in Dublin. I have a carry on case whose dimensions are larger by 2cm's on one side yet it fits snugly into the metal frame. I have often seen people with carry on luggage so big it doesn't even fit in to the overhead locker on the plane without a good push. Coming back from Germany earlier this month our cases were weighed but not measured. You will find that it varies from airport to airport depending on how busy they are at the time.

Have flew with them every week, online check in since sept 07 and only in the last two weeks have they started getting me to put case in metal frame thingy, even though same suitcase for whole duration. I think if they see someone in bmi or easy-jet beside them doing it, they will follow suit . Just don't loiter around the front if you are worried so they dont get a good look at you

its a strange one. I've flown with them a good bit recently. When I check in online I go straight through security in Shannon and nobody bats an eyelid. I queue up and get on the plane.

In Stanstead recently they weighted my bag going through security but they did that for everybody - nothing to do with the airline you are travelling on.

My guess is that the next generation of Ryanair planes will be in some way configured that you can fit more hand luggage in there somehow, and they will do away with checkin completely.

If everybody could carryon 20kg in 2 10kg bags that would suit most people.

Jack - I think you will find that this varies considerably from airport to airport and probably by Ryanair check-in person also. I use them every second week and found that they will allow a carry on bag AND laptop bag from Dublin but will not allow this from Bournemouth airport. Stansted is also really strict as they even ask passengers to place their handbags (mostly female :)) in their carry-on luggage. Strange thing is that once you go through the boarding card check and security you can take it out again....can anyone explain the reasoning behind this?

I normally check my bag in because of this as I use a laptop rucksack rather than laptop bag and they won't accept both bags on board even though my suitcase is within size requirements.

Major downsaide with Ryanair is that if they will not change their mind once they catch you, despite the inconsistencies between airports.
How strict are Ryanair with the size limit?

Thanks.

Jack - I think you will find that this varies considerably from airport to airport and probably by Ryanair check-in person also. I use them every second week and found that they will allow a carry on bag AND laptop bag from Dublin but will not allow this from Bournemouth airport. Stansted is also really strict as they even ask passengers to place their handbags (mostly female :)) in their carry-on luggage. Strange thing is that once you go through the boarding card check and security you can take it out again....can anyone explain the reasoning behind this?

The "one-bag through security" restriction is imposed by the UK airport authorities, not by Ryanair which is why it differs from place to place. Not all UK airports impose this either, to add to the confusion!

Thank you all for so many replies!

Think I'll be ok on Dublin side, based on what I've read here. My bag won't be that particularly big, just a couple of centimetres out here and there.

Why not just purchase the correct size bag?

mf

I did, but it's kind of flexible, so if I get overenthusiastic packing (been know to happen:eek:) it expands a little. Good point though!

Just back from flying Ryanair to Biarritz from Shannon. On line check in, so just sailed past. Bag was checked through scanner, but not weighed. We both have bags that pass the 'dimensions' but only just.
On line check-in great. Priority boarding etc...

One bag rule has been recinded at heathrow since Feb.

Ryanair doesn't fly into Heathrow.

Ryanair hand baggage policy is one item regardless of whether the airport has rescinded the one bag rule or not. I've never seen it enforced mind you but that's what their website says.

In the UK airports still operating the one bag rule (check each airport website for updated info) they tend to be very strict on enforcing the one bag through security rule.

just back from a trip to Spain using Ryan Air hand luggage online check in.
travelled shannon-luton no problem, same at luton just straight through security.
On return journey it was Murcia-Stanstead, found them strict at security at Stanstead there was a lot of spot checks on bags but no one mentioned 1 bag only or size of bag which was a little over the reg size.

I find if you have checked in online then at Security you have so much stuff to put in baskets(coats/shoes/belts etc) that they dont take any notice of the extra handbag.

Of course it's useful when someone else brought Heathrow into the thread in the first place :rolleyes:

My last experience at Standsted was a nightmare - everything including my newspaper, handbag, clear plastic bag had to be put in my one bag and weighed to ensure not more than 10kg.
I'm going through Standsted again on Sat and to avail of online check in will only be taking one bag so will be v stretched to make the 10kg.
I know that some of the London airports have relaxed the one bag rule to the extent that a handbag can be separately taken. Anyone any recent experience with Stansted?

Stanstead is still one bag only as is Ryanair at any airport so no good news for you I'm afraid!

thanks will reduce my baggage accordingly.

Never had any problem with more than one bag (subtly - small handbag & mini rucksack) with Ryanair at any other airport. Also never had my carry on bag weighed anywhere other than Stansted.

My last experience at Standsted was a nightmare - everything including my newspaper, handbag, clear plastic bag had to be put in my one bag and weighed to ensure not more than 10kg.
I'm going through Standsted again on Sat and to avail of online check in will only be taking one bag so will be v stretched to make the 10kg.
I know that some of the London airports have relaxed the one bag rule to the extent that a handbag can be separately taken. Anyone any recent experience with Stansted?

Came through Stanstead with Ryan air last month and no problems at all, I had hand luggage only and online check in and had a seperate hand bag, if you do not have to go near the check in there was no sign of anyone weighing cases.

Back