Euro-Sterling exchange rate - predictions please

thejuggler

Whats the likely outlook for the euro sterling exchange rate over the next few months? I wish to make a purchase in sterling but am prepared to wait if the euro is likely to strengthen against the pound.

If as widely expected the ECB announce an interest rate hike this week with the possibility of another before the end of the year will this make the euro stronger or is this view too simplistic?

thats not too simplistic. if they raise rates on thursday then the euro will burst 1.60 against the dollar and also up against the pound (less so). the uk arent goign to cut rates either so the euros rise against it will be limited in my opinion.

Exchange rate predictions are notoriously difficult - especially for experts!

If you risk adverse, then convert now and fix your costs; if not, then the rate in a few months could go up, down or stay the same.

WIth the uk housing market only going one way, then i too predict a continuing slide with the pound.

WIth the uk housing market only going one way, then i too predict a continuing slide with the pound.

How long will that last, the decline in the housing market? and will it mean parity, in your opinion of course.

Joejoe

its impossible to say how long the decline in the housing market will last. i think we are in for a global recession. some countries will be worse than others. the UK wont be too bad

its impossible to say how long the decline in the housing market will last. i think we are in for a global recession. some countries will be worse than others. the UK wont be too bad

Why do you say the UK won't be too bad?

It's very difficult to say how long the decline in the housing market will last, but you should bet on at least four years from peak. I also think we are in for a global recession, but different portions of the world economy will go into recession at different times leading to a long-drawn out affair of sub-par growth. Some countries will be hit worse than others. The UK will be very bad. They have a currency that is under pressure, therefore their import costs will rise. North Sea oil output is in decline so high oil prices won't help them. International financial management is in chaos, so London will not provide the engine that it has in the past. The UK consumer is hugely indebted so there is no capability to spend their way out. UK government finances are under pressure already with the downturn barely started.

Why do you say the UK won't be too bad?

Have you been to the UK recently? I suggest you visit somewhere north of the Watford gap and talk to the locals. Then try telling us that the UK wont be too bad - its all ready in serious trouble & heading for the second world.

Have you been to the UK recently? I suggest you visit somewhere north of the Watford gap and talk to the locals. Then try telling us that the UK wont be too bad - its all ready in serious trouble & heading for the second world.

What are you talking about? I agree with you and thats why I was asking the other poster why he didn't think the UK would be too bad.

Sorry Sunny - my mistake.

No worries. I don't know how anyone can be anything other than very concerned about the UK. They are in a much worse state than us so I am not sure why the other poster thought the UK would escape the worst of it.

looks like sterling is expected to hit parity by christmas although a barclays strategist reckons it will reverse , however he is the only one.

I read today that there is expected to be a new wave of subprime like mortgage default on the way with no doc mortgage default on the rise and unemployment the same

just checked www.currency.ie and it euro gbp is at 91.70, it was weaker last week, strengthened a little but interesting to see where it goes from here

How does an Bord Snip have anything to do with the Sterling exchange rate?

Have you seen the thing about the llamas on the M50?

Back