has anyone heard about the MBA from the Irish American Institute? (www.iau.ie)

BigG

Hi, has anyone heard about the MBA from the Irish American Institute? (www.iau.ie) It's €9,000 which is a snip compared to other MBA's, but i was wondering if anyone knows if it's any good? as the old saying goes if something seems to good to be true, it usually is!!

Re: Mba

Hi

Check for accreditations. The programme must be at least accredited by the AMBA. Other accreditations, such as EQUIS and AACSB, are also desirable.

SM

Cheers, i just sent them an email to confirm. will report back soon

These guys got a write up in the Irish Times a number of years ago, and it wasn't good.

Both UCD and Trinity's MBAs have fallen down the FT's global rankings recently.

If you don't want to leave Ireland to do your studies, why not consider a distant learning one from someplace credible like Durham:

Manchester Business School also do a fairly decent distance learning MBA that offers exemptions for qualified accountants and engineers. This can be a benefit if cost is a consideration

The OU MBA isn't well regarded.

Have a look at the FT rankings to get a better idea of cost and career prospects:
[broken link removed]

The OU MBA isn't well regarded.

Have a look at the FT rankings to get a better idea of cost and career prospects:
[broken link removed]
I strongly disagree regarding the OU. MBAs that are not full-time (such as the OU) do not feature in FT rankings by definition.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/qualification/F02.htm
"The OU Business School is accredited internationally by the European Foundation for Management Development, through its EQUIS programme; by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB); and the MBA is accredited by the Association of MBAs (AMBA). The School is one of only 21 business schools worldwide to have achieved all three accreditations. Do not be concerned that this MBA does not appear in either the Financial Times or Wall Street Journal league tables. These tables are restricted to full-time study programmes, many students on which seek employment after they complete. The OU MBA does not qualify for these tables because it is for people studying part-time and already in a managerial position."

MBA from the Open University isn't well regarded by whom? And Why?

Or is that your personal opinion? If so, based on what?

I also diagree beanpole. I am doing the OUBS MBA (1 month left) and I chose it on the basis of the triple accreditation and the extensive links with other cultures and industries worldwide. It was a tough 3 years and I have recommended this MBA to a few people since. Another well regarded MBA the Henley Distance Learning Programme.

I personally think that one of the most valuable things in an MBA is the live interaction (in class discussions or working in assignments) with your classmates. That element is missing in an online/distance learning MBA. I guess an online programme might be the only option for some people due to time constraints but if such constraints do not exist, I would rather go for a "normal" MBA: either full or part-time (Executive MBA). Distance learning is, in my view, fine for other type of degrees but not for an MBA.

In terms of prestige, my impression is that "normal" MBAs are more highly regarded by employers than online ones, which is not saying that an employer will not appreciate an online MBA. That is my personal opinion, again. However, and this not an opinion but a fact, I recently came across a job ad where they were looking for a candidate holding an MBA but it said explicitly it should not be an online one...

Having said that, I have a good concept of the OU as a whole and, as far as I know, the OU MBA has a good reputation among distance learning MBAs.

To those thinking of the OU MBA, I'd say go for it. It is an excellent program and a very rewarding experience.
By the way, despite the above poster's comments, there is plenty of interaction with fellow students on the OU MBA program at regular module tutorials and residential school programs (with a definite international bias). Admittedly this is less than in the Smurfit or full-time foreign schools. Students on the OU MBA are actively encouraged to set up networks for course discussion and prepare for tutorials, although this is often done online rather than in person.
Ask yourself why you are doing the course in the first place. I think your choice of school depends on personal circumstances. Everyone would probably like the prestige of a Wharton, Harvard or INSEAD name on their CV. The reality is that two or three years down the line, what matters to employers is experience and achievement rather than the name of the academic institution that you attended.

There is also MBA in Dublin City University. It's accredited AMBA (as well as Trinity):

[broken link removed]

Does someone have heard about it?

Back