Dublin GAA jokes

Tenacious

What's the difference between a Dublin GAA jersey and a school uniform??

You can see school uniforms in September.

"Dublin are the team of the championship so far,"
"Dublin have the best forward line in the country"

I'd like to thank Paul Curran for two of the best jokes I've heard all summer last night.

How about the confident prediction by Liam Hayes that Dublin would win by seven points, or all the "experts" that predicted that Meath would have a handy win over Cork...

Strange thread, I didn't see any such jokes, when Armagh, Tyrone, Meath, etc were eliminated from the Championship?

That's because there's only 2 types in Ireland YOBR: Dubs, and those who want to be Dubs. It's a shame that there is such glorying in one teams misfortune, as a Dub with one half Louth and an 1/8th Wexford, I always enjoyed games for games, sport for sport. Above all other fans I found Dubs followers very sporting and committed. Ask any of the Carlow minors who played in Croker in the 1992 Leinster Football. Their efforts were rewarded with cheers and applause, and after losing their final game came to the Hill and applauded the Blue support. It was the day Louth should have beaten Dublin and it made me feel proud to stand there as true sportmanship was evident.

Fast forward 6 years and Kildare-Meath, with white shirted fans showering the Meath keeper with plastic bottles and apple butts - if it had been a Dublin game?

Strange thread, I didn't see any such jokes, when Armagh, Tyrone, Meath, etc were eliminated from the Championship?

That's because there's only 2 types in Ireland YOBR: Dubs, and those who want to be Dubs. It's a shame that there is such glorying in one teams misfortune,

I agree completely. I think the GAA and its supporters should realise they need Dublin far more than they wish to admit. I've seen double and triple header matches not fill Croke Park this year. And before you start every county has lower league attendances than they have for the Championship!

It must be only culchies that can take a slagging then,

That's because there's only 2 types in Ireland YOBR: Dubs, and those who want to be Dubs
we are so multicultural.

I think the GAA and its supporters should realise they need Dublin far more than they wish to admit

I agree until we can find a better alternative to croke park

It must be only culchies that can take a slagging then,

we are so multicultural.

I agree until we can find a better alternative to croke park

I don't mind a slagging but where were the jokes about Armagh, Tyrone and Meath?

I also agree that we should find an alternative to Croke Park, and fund regional stadia (for all codes) that could hold 50 - 60k. We could do if we weren't wasting €200m on Lansdowne Road. Why can they play a different game every week in the Millenium Stadium and we can't do the same here?

Was it maybe a self-imposed 'weight of expectation' for the dubs?

All built up and talked up, waiting for a fall? I don't remember Armagh, Tyrone & Meath going on about their imminent successes.

Was it maybe a self-imposed 'weight of expectation' for the dubs?

All built up and talked up, waiting for a fall? I don't remember Armagh, Tyrone & Meath going on about their imminent successes.

Dublin do attract media coverage, lots of it. Given that the majority of Ireland's (print/radio/tv) media is based here and the population size of the county, that is not an unexpected thing.

However, Paul Caffrey is one of the least vocal GAA managers, indeed the IT regularly reports on his lack of communication/short answers with the media. I didn't see many media reports prior to the game (Liam Hayes aside) actually predict a Dublin win so I dont know where the imminent success comes from.

Or perhaps its wrong for Dublin supporters to actually support their team?

Don't follow GAA at all YOBR so I'm maybe not the best person to comment. ;)

It was just the impression I got that for a few weeks, everywhere I looked there was some newspaper or sports report telling me how this was to be Dublin's year, how every match seemed to be theirs for the taking etc etc

I just didn't notice anywhere near the same expectation with other teams.
But your comment on Dublin based media is fair enough.

To be honest it depends on what media you are exposed to. Indeed, I can't comment on the expectations of other counties as I don't see their papers or hear their media. I just felt that some people are over eager to slag off the dubs following their defeat.

Whats blue and navy and goes beep, beep, beep?
Dublins's open top bus reversing back into the garage!!!

For sale 35,000 senior all Ireland footdall final tickets, hotel deals
included with most...for details contact any Dublin club chairman or
log onto
www.chokedagain.com ....quick sale
wanted or would be willing to swap for 15 all Ireland medals!!

What do you call a Dublin man with an all Ireland medal?
An antique dealer!

What Dublin's national anthem?
What's another year!

Paul Caffrey was arrested last night after vandalising a cigarette
machine, he replied by saying he was in a bad way for 20 players!!

How does a Dublin man become a Millionaire?
By saving for the All Ireland.

What do you say to a Dub on All-Ireland Final day?

Whats blue and navy and goes beep, beep, beep?
Dublins's open top bus reversing back into the garage!!!

For sale 35,000 senior all Ireland footdall final tickets, hotel deals
included with most...for details contact any Dublin club chairman or
log onto www.chokedagain.com ....quick sale
wanted or would be willing to swap for 15 all Ireland medals!!

What do you call a Dublin man with an all Ireland medal?
An antique dealer!

What Dublin's national anthem?
What's another year!

Paul Caffrey was arrested last night after vandalising a cigarette
machine, he replied by saying he was in a bad way for 20 players!!

How does a Dublin man become a Millionaire?
By saving for the All Ireland.

2 hot dogs please

Little amuses the simple.

Still taking Sunday's defeat hard, eh?

If you ignore the thread, maybe it will just go away!

Back