Info on 1980's Court Case

JohnJay

How would I go about getting details of a court case from the early/mid 1980’s? My uncle, who was a civil servant, took a case against his employer after he was demoted/side stepped following (what we would call these days) a whistleblowing incident. I don’t have exact dates.
Google doesn’t give me much, other than a photo from the RTE Stills library and an article by Vincent Browne from a few years earlier when the incident happened.
I’m only looking at this out of curiosity. I was young at the time and don’t remember much about it, other than my mother being very upset by the whole thing. I do remember it being on the 6 O’Clock news and in the papers at the time, but sadly none of this was kept. Sadly my uncle or my mother are no longer with us.
Anyone got any ideas where I would start my research?

thanks for your suggestions, so-crates. It was a very public case at the time. Even tonight I have found 2 mentions of the original incident in the Dail in the late 70's which are on public record. My uncle wasnt named by name in the Dail, so thats why they have not popped up in Google searches. I dont have an exact date on the court case in the 80's, once I find that I can do a bit more searching on a microfiche archive. The RTE stills that I have found have dated 2 photographs as 1984 and 1985, eventhough both are clearly taken on the same day! I thought myself that it was before 1984, but I might be wrong.

Good luck, probably worth also contacting the Courts Service and the Oireachtas and enquiring about their archives - chances are they have some :)

You could try www.irlii.org. There's a list of[broken link removed]

If it was a reported case in the Irish Reports you could contact the law reporting office here.

It is also possible to search for the case online in one of the legal databases such as justis.com. It offers a free trial of its services.

The archives of the Irish Times might have a report on the case if it made the national news.

Back