Problems with PTSB debit card today

gipimann

I had 3 transactions refused in 2 different shops this morning - the transactions weren't authorised via the chip and pin machine.

The assistant in one of the shops said that another PTSB card used earlier today had the same problems.

I've been onto PTSB (after a long wait), and there is a major technical problem with all PTSB debit cards today. I was advised not to use the card at all because the transactions won't go through, and if I needed cash, I should go into a branch with photo ID. One of the refused transactions is appearing as a pending transaction, which I was told could take up to 5 days to "fall back" into the account. Luckily it was a small amount and I can wait.

There was no indication of when this might be fixed, so if you rely on PTSB debit cards, you might want to head to a branch to get some cash for the weekend.

This happened to me on Tuesday last.

The receipt said transaction was declined.

I have assumed there was a problem with my card and I was planning to contact PTSB. But I now wonder has this problem been around for a few days.

PTSB have just released a statement admitting a problem with debit cards earlier today and that it is now resolved.

Thanks runner, I heard the 3pm news bulletin which reported that the problem, which appeared to affect VISA Debit cards (not specifically PTSB) was resolved.

When I called to my local bank branch at approx 2pm, they'd only just been officially notified - several customers had already been in to enquire/complain, so the staff knew something was amiss.

I;ve heard the following:

You may have experienced some authorisation issues today on specific cards. This issue has been confirmed as being a TSYS issue, which is impacting POS and ATM Traffic. TSYS is the processor used by AIB, PTSB and Ulster Bank.

so if your card is with PTSB this is probably the reason

I had my AIB Visa Debit card refused at three Luas machines today at Carrickmines.
Coincidence maybe?

Back