Calgon tablets and washing machines

Passport1

Hi
You know the ad about 'washing machines live lionger with Calgon' about using Calgon tablets or powder or gel to help stop build up of limescale on washing machines in hard water areas

Can you use the calgon product at same time as you washing your clothes or do you have to run a separate cycle with no clothes in it and just the calgon tablet/powder/gel in the wash compartment or dispenser?

Thanks

A repair guy for washing machines told me years ago that its an expensive waste of money.

Thanks for replies

How do Calgon get away with running the ad then. Is it not regarded as false or mis-leading advertising.

Anyway.... any other suggestions for preventing limescale buildup in hard water areas on washing machine element ?

Thanks

Put a few spoonfuls of washing soda in the drum of the washing machine with each wash. Helps 'soften' the water.

You can also add vinegar (plain white vinegar, not coloured malt) to the fabric conditioner dispenser. Ideally, if you have a machine where you can see what part of the cycle it's add, just add this for the final rinse. Your clothes will be lovely and soft and the vinegar will also help with the limescale.

Put a few spoonfuls of washing soda in the drum of the washing machine with each wash. Helps 'soften' the water.

You can also add vinegar (plain white vinegar, not coloured malt) to the fabric conditioner dispenser. Ideally, if you have a machine where you can see what part of the cycle it's add, just add this for the final rinse. Your clothes will be lovely and soft and the vinegar will also help with the limescale.

How much vinegar do you add?

Just up to the mark on the dispenser, which is about 100 or 200 ml I think.

A repair guy for washing machines told me years ago that its an expensive waste of money.

Ditto from another guy that was out fixing my parent's washing machine recently. Total waste of money he said too.

Much cheaper limescale tablets for washing machines are available from Tesco.

I live in a very hard water area, so use them, although I've heard too that they're not that effective in preventing damage to the machine; but better safe than sorry.

You probably get a better wash with softer water anyway..

Back