Verifying a Thread

andy04

Hello, I saw a thread on askaboutmoney that may be useful for a dispute that I have with a financial institution.

I was wondering is there a recommended way to verify threads in a legal dispute. Maybe to print them off and post them to myself?

Have a read of the 'Disclaimer' section on this page:

Askaboutmoney is a discussion forum. The contributors may or may not be qualified or authorised to offer advice.

We make every effort to correct misleading information and to give a balanced variety of opinions.

We accept no liability for any loss arising from action taken on the basis of information on the site.

Before making a financial decision, you should independently verify any information you have got from the site.

For complex financial or tax decisions, you should consult a professional advisor who will take into account all the necessary personal circumstances of your case.
I think you'd be wasting your time taking a thread off AAM .... you need independent advice and not rely on the anonymous advie of strangers. AAM is a guide ... and should be treated as such.

I would not agree with Paddy - but I know what he means.

There are many experienced contributors here and whilst sometimes acidic - you will get a fair summary as to whether for example you may have case or not.

What I meant is it possible to verify that the thread actually exists or existed. Perhaps go to a solicitor ask them to go the website and print and stamp it. Or maybe a public library, and get them to stamp it. An honest broker of some kind.

I take on board that the content might be spurious. However, there are several people in the same situation as myself, that posted their experiences prior to my situation becoming an issue. So I think the thread could back up my case, in case of a legal dispute.

It's not back up andy. The person behind the other threads that support your case (of which I have no idea) could in fact be you, andy. It could be anybody.

Hi andy

It's hard to answer your question without you being more specific.

Let's say you are arguing that you got a call from your lender encouraging you to switch out of your tracker but the bank denies that they ever did that. But you know you got the call and you can see 5 reports on askaboutmoney.com and boards.ie of the same thing.

I don't think that a copy of the post on askaboutmoney would have any evidential value. However, you could contact the poster and ask him if he would swear an affidavit that the same thing happened to her.

Brendan

Back