Water Charges - Landlords ultimately Liable - response from Irish Water

I couldn't agree more Gerry.

Roisin Shorthall commented on the Vincent Brown show yesterday evening that the new government proposals appeared to be designed to fail. Summed it up neatly for me.

I'm actually starting to wonder if the government are secretly hoping that the Commission or Eurostat will strike down their own proposals so that they can roll out "the big boys made me do it" excuse.

I put all my concerns as a landlord in writing to my local (Government) TD. He rang me back and stated that he accepted that they were very good points that I had raised and that he was actually meeting the current Minister responsible for the water mess a few days later and would raise them with him. This was prior to the legislation being debated and passed in the Dail.
He told me he would ring me back on the matter and I said to him that there was no point in doing so unless there were remedies in the legislation to my concerns. He said he understood.
I have not received that phone call or an email. I take it that as a no improvement in any of my concerns.

I'm actually starting to wonder if the government are secretly hoping that the Commission or Eurostat will strike down their own proposals so that they can roll out "the big boys made me do it" excuse.

If the true facts of the sums collected are given the figures will not be enough to pass the criteria as set down.

Thanks Dermot.

The plan to compel landlords to pay unpaid water charges from tenant deposits was not reflected in the amending legislation and the Minister said he was postponing the introduction of this requirement pending consultation with landlord representatives. However, I haven't seen any reports that would suggest that any steps have been taken to start this consultation exercise.

On the broader issue, I agree that it is looking increasingly clear that IW will not be in a position to collect sufficient sums in water charges to pass the European market corporation test.

The ongoing political failure to get on top of the IW issue is truly amazing.

Exactly, that is why I sent a registered letter with my Tenants names and address matched to the application pack number to Irish Water. If they can get my details from the PRTB then they can get the Tenants including their PRSI number from the PRTB.
My tenant who is in the RAS refused to give me her pps no and those of her kids.... I needed them for the PRTB... ?????

If you had done a proper lease the PRTB form would have been part of that, you would have had the PPS number from either document.

Anyway, old hat, there are no more bills for Irish water but perhaps you need to open a new thread on the PRTB issue you have and getting PPS number.

I also rang Irish water and asked about tenant...they told me I was not responsible for the water my tenant was using and that because I notified them and gave them her name they would write to her and all charges Would go to her now.. Landlord not responsible

My tenant who is in the RAS refused to give me her pps no and those of her kids.... I needed them for the PRTB... ?????

As long as you state that you have asked for the PPS No of the official tenant and you could not obtain it RTB will register your tenancy

Back