How safe are public service jobs?

mu66

Employees in the public service that started employment after 1995 pay higher PRSI - I heard recently that this is to allow for redundancy payments?
Is it likely that the so-called safe public sector jobs are not so secure after all?

Public service jobs were never safe contrary to popular opinion on AAM.

One is always bound to be aware that one can be suspended or dismissed if one is accused of and proven to be acting ultra vires.

If one finds oneself in a position to be suspended with a view to being dismissed it is imperative that one has an excellent case that can be visited in a legal environment.

Marion

They are safe as long as you dont shoot someone. ;)

I know of 2 cases where if the same happened in a private sector company, they would have been sacked on the spot.

Its going to take the government 18 months to come up with the report anyway, paying former public servants to analyse the public service!! Its a farce

I don't think you can head-butt you boss either but not sure, its a gray area

Probably depends exactly what is meant by 'public service jobs' too.

For example, many offices/services appear ostensibly to be 'public' but in reality are pretty much autonomous but are funded by public money - which in theory could be stopped at any time. In fact it's happening already.

I will put a question out there to see what you think a person should be paid based on this job description, which is a public service job:

Enter data into a PC from a phone received from another public servant. There is no other work to be done with the data, just enter it the system so that it is available to the relevant departments.

So what do you think a person doing that job should get? Btw I know what the pay is ;) Will tell you when I get a few responses, personally I nearly died when I heard it.

I will put a question out there to see what you think a person should be paid based on this job description, which is a public service job:

Enter data into a PC from a phone received from another public servant. There is no other work to be done with the data, just enter it the system so that it is available to the relevant departments.

So what do you think a person doing that job should get? Btw I know what the pay is ;) Will tell you when I get a few responses, personally I nearly died when I heard it.

If it where a private sector job I would presume it would be somewhere along the pay of office juniors - not sure what the going rate is but maybe 23 -26k but public sector if they have been doing the job for years I would imagine it will be more

This will probably be a ludicrous amount of money!

Its hard to guess based on that one line description - is there any analysis or calculations to be done based on the data entered? If it is pure data entry, I would put it somewhere around the early 20's mark.....

Its pure data entry. Btw I am not anti-public service at all, BUT I dont like the way its been run, cant blame the foot soldiers if they are been paid crazy money, with pensions, health cover, great holidays and sick pay.

Also sorry for hi-jacking the thread!!!!

[...] with pensions, health cover, great holidays and sick pay.

Also sorry for hi-jacking the thread!!!!
Health cover? That's very unusual. Certainly not mainstream civil service, if that's included.

In the civil service, holidays at the lowest levels are statutory minimum or just over (plus those famous two privilege days), but they do go up for middle to senior managers (to a maximum of 31 days). It would be unusual for other public sector jobs to have substantially better leave allowances.

To get to the question, I'd have thought that's a CO salary, so depending on how long the person's been serving, somewhere between €24 k and nearly €40k [which is the maximum of that scale, after 17 years at the grade].

they would possably a grade 5 so depending on service €47 - €58 but i think is more then just typeing on a PC

Basic data entry starts at €19,500/anm for first year and rises to about €26,000 max after at least three years service for good workers. Stays about this level with just nominal pay rises (usually less than inflation) for ever. Most get promotion, moved or quit after a few years.
No pension, no sick pay, no union, no health benefits, basic holidays etc...

Sorry meant to update this yesterday. The basic is 40k euro with a 25% shift allowance.

Is it any wonder its near impossible to get into the place ;)

I can guess where you are talking about Pulse ,Castlebar?? starting salary definitely not 40 k ..Starting is CO salary + shift allowances , Shifts are 24 hours 7 day weeks,
Starting salary 2 years ago was 21k with top of scale 34k gone up a bit since then but not that much.

The information is from people who work there, why would they bother to lie???

The information on staffing and wages is publicly available.
For staffing structure see
[broken link removed]
It has expanded numbers since then -possibly with long service you may get close to that salary but otherwise only with promotions etc.
The shift premium also was not 25% for all shifts.That applied to the most antisocial shift only,or did at the beginning. Starting salary for CO which the majority of the staff are is available on Dept finance websites about 23k nowadays.

People always lie about 2 things in my experience
1. salarys.
2. alcohol intake .

So both of them lied! That report is over 2 years old.

Just pointing out the difference in pay between private and public. ;)

Back