Any advice for south of France in August?

jph

Myself and husband are hoping to go to South of France for 10 days approx in August. We usually go on a package holiday and we are not sure of the best options to plan this trip. Aerlingus and ryanair fly in to Perpignon & Carcassone - we like to have some pool/beach time and to take trips - what is the best location and any recommendations re hotels/booking sites.

We've never been to France before so thanks for advice in advance.

Jph

August is probably one of the worst times to go for a holiday in France. Especially the south, where the French people who can afford it travel South during August - most of the resort areas are totally booked out. Our little 1-bed leaseback apartment in SW France can command over €1,000 per week in August. Just saying!

Thanks Eithne - that's the type of practical information I need! Back to the drawing board to re- think the holiday plan !

Jph

Carcassonne is lovely but a couple of days would be enough. You can hop on a train to Narbonne also which is another nice town near to Carcassonne and from there either head up or head down along the coast on the train.
Perpignan is so so but further along the coast is Collioure and it's beautiful. Easy to get a bus from the bus station in Perpignan to Collioure.
I would probably go for Nice and use the extensive train and bus network to explore the nearby towns both along the coast and inland.
Maybe even break your 10 days in to two locations. Fly in to Nice and out of Marseille?

Nice is a lovely place to visit, but be aware that the beaches there are stones rather than sand, not very comfy for sunbathing!!

South of France in AUGUST is grid locked . All French people head South in August it seems and prices go North. If you have to go then, try and avoid the coastline from Cannes to Monaco if possible. Its still good if you can take the conjestion and prices.

We went for a week last year in July. We rented an apartment (2 adults) from an Irish woman in a small town near Nice. Rented a car for the week and did day trips to all the big cities, Monaco, Nice, Cannes etc.

PM if you would like anymore details.

Last edited:
Back