Employers expect me to move equipment

I am sure there are plenty of small print rules that we all break from time to time knowingly and unknowingly. If its a constant factor that the items need to be shifted then yes, you are correct in requesting a moving company, however moving a few items in a once off move shouldnt pose a threat on our roads .
My insurance company weasel out of paying? Perish the thought!

I've been moved a few times but it was always the professionals, occasionally if I move maybe two doors down and then I bring the stuff myself, but not the PC/hard drive or printer. Also bring a box of paper to my officer for the printer so that I don't have to go back and forth and that's quite heavy. At home I move radios and occasionally the small TV, furniture etc. At work I wouldn't move anything that is too awkward/heavy or easily breakable, particularly if it involves stairs.

Re the insurance if I was in an accident and the car wasn't insured due to me moving stuff I'd be suing the company if I was sued and would I assume be covered under their company insurance as in this case the company had told me to do the move. I think that there is a body that covers uninsured drivers in Ireland for all those of you who are worried about being in an accident with the OP so it doesn't matter whether the OP is insured or not.

My office is in the process of moving to a new location, and I cant imagine the chaos if we were asked to move our own stuff.

Instead it's very organised.
There are about 500 of us moving. The company ordered loads of boxes. We fill as many as them as we need with our files, folders, papers etc, seal and label them with our seat location in the new building.
The removal team are currently moving boxes as they become available, and when we arrive at the office next week, the plan is that all our boxes shall be waiting at our desks.
All PCs/phones/bins/coat-hangers/cupboards etc are labeled, and shall be shipped aswell.
The only thing we have to carry by hand are our laptops.

There is no way I'd accept transporting all my own stuff under my own steam - for a start I cant even lift my monitor, never mind a large box full of files. And the company cant assume that everyone has access to a car (for example I dont, and wouldnt be prepared to pay for a moving van for my stuff).
I think the orginal poster's company if being unreasonable, penny-pinching, and shall only loose out in the long run.

just to throw in my twopense worth.

last yr i worked for a company and we were setting up and organising moving offices. We arranged a removal company to come in. Each member of staff was asked to pack up their own belongings (files staplers etc). hardware was not to be touched. the professional would be taking care of that. This was to be done over the weekend!!
3 girls came to my office (manager) and voiced concerns that they were employed as accounts assistants and not removal ppl etc. They were nice about it and said if we have to do it ok but we really dont want to. and we didnt sign up for weekend work. told them i would discuss at my next meeting.

i did and basically my 2 MD`s said "well F**k them, fine if they want to be akward, their cards are well marked"...!!! and they were too.. the girls did muck in. the removal went smoothly thank god but the 2 MD`s never forgot it. it got mentioned from time to time... Fact.

It what one would expect really...those who are awkward and dogmatic will suffer on the career front. As has been said before common sense needs to be applied-don't do anything dangerous but equally don't be a "if it's not in my job description" merchant.

I've worked in a big company where we weren't allowed to do anything. It was a pain. I'm in IT so we'd often want to move a couple of machines from one desk to another. Calling someone from a different dept to do it for us and waiting an hour for them to show was ridiculous (it even stretched to we weren't allowed to put up christmas decorations for health and safety reasons, although we were asked to take them down ourselves when they were spotted). Where I work now if we move desks, we move our own stuff. If we've training in a particular room we bring an reconnect our pcs. Anyone who has a problem with the weight (some of the girls/pregnant or not) just asks for a hand, or many times the guys will just say that they'll get the heavy stuff if we get the peripherals, files, etc. Noone HAS to move anything they don't want to move but for the hour or so work involved it would be seen as silly to hire professional movers when we're all capable of chipping in. It also gives us an hour off work.
With regard to cars, what happens if you drive to work and you ghave to bring your laptop home. You know, you need another hour to finish something but have to pick up the kids so you plan to do an hour after dinner. Is your insurance invalidated cos you're bringing it home for work?
I have to say the common sense approach is what keeps the country moving. In my company if we all only did what our job descriptions said the company would fold. Look what happened when the nurses said answering phones wasn't in their job description...

Back