Children sick, employer says short notice for annual leave is unacceptable

Hi Becky and Terry'sgirl33. Thanks for your reaction, I was expecting much more adverse replies. I don't have the answer to peoples' childcare problems. To be honest Mrs Lep and I didn't have the answer to our own childcare problems. We were forced into the situation of Mrs Lep being under company policy to resign her post within 2 years of marriage. We had to go down this line, there was no choice. In the 70's during Ireland's normal ongoing financial recession (which makes the current recession look like a doddle) Mrs Lep had little or no chance of obtaining another job. Our backs were to the wall. The future looked bleak and it was. Believe me, I would not wish those times on anybody.

We had no other choice. When I think of those times it is difficult not to become emotional. The mortgage interest rate reached 19.5%. I had a job that paid little enough and was forced into part-time work and doing odd jobs and locking the car (an old banger) into the garage for a year because we could not afford fuel, insurance and maintenance. The bank did not want to know us (a story for another day). Furthermore, I didn't have exclusive rights to the foregoing, it was the norm for many many people.

So, when I hear couples (both with cars, a fully furnished five bedroom house, holidays in USA, meals out with Jamie Oliver) moaning about childcare costs I cringe. For the record:- Mrs Lep returned to fulltime employment after 20 years in the home and has often said she would pay to go into her job let alone get paid.

. Thanks for your reaction, I was expecting much more adverse replies. I don't have the answer to peoples' childcare problems.

Goodness Leper no one could be adverse to what you've posted. Your wife sounds absolutely wonderful. You're a lucky man, but I guess you already know that.

Thanks for that Bronte, you're right I don't have to look too far for a hero. I am interested in this subject because I used to work with many parents of young children and I could not understand the kind of schadenfreude that went on between them especially the women (forgive me, but it is true). It seemed the more one suffered the more some others were delighted in their plight. Some got their act together (probably the Plan B I mentioned earlier) and could cope. Others for some reason or other could not cope and had to leave work early or at short notice. A sort of "dont-burden-me-with-your-childrens-problems" scenario used to happen every so often. Occasionally, there was chaos and a blame game started. Life became pretty tough at work, not knowing what was going to happen next. Some used to panic if junior had sniffles and gave the impression that the Blackrock Clinic is the only place for junior and fast. Somebody elses child would trip over a saddle-board or something and suddenly you thought their darling was in a plane crash. The stories mounted and mounted until somebody called a halt and drew up some sensible ground rules. Any deviation from the ground rules meant expulsion from Plan B i.e. going to look after junior while others battened down the hatches at work covering, working harder etc.

Strangely enough, the men seemed to cope better (Please, I am not being sexist, I'm calling the situations as I saw them). They would come back to work after the "emergency" or worked later or earlier as the case may be.

I think I am going to be sorry I posted this.

I know there are situations where work cannot be abandoned pronto e.g. working as a check out operator in a busy supermarket etc. But, I reckon most situations with some planning and co-operation could end up favourably for all.

I know there are situations where work cannot be abandoned pronto e.g. working as a check out operator in a busy supermarket etc. But, I reckon most situations with some planning and co-operation could end up favourably for all.

Yes I think you're right on that. And I've no idea why you think you'd get in trouble for what you've posted. You've only posted what long experience has shown you.

And you must be in a very well paid workplace if people can be bringing their kids to the Blackrock clinic for snifles so you'd think they of all people could afford a Plan B :D

first of all fair play to your husband sharing the days like that with you. Believe you me a lot of men dont... Mine is good at sharing but a lot of my friends husbands think because they earn more gives them the right not to share these type of things.

Anyway I dread this all the time... I have 2 children now so double the chance of one being sick and having to ring my employer. I have been lucky with my job last 3 years where I have put in excessive hours to get business to where it is and my manager respects that and always meets me half way. I never ring in sick,.. If I am sick I come in literally crawling and he sends me home. If my child is sick I usually work from work for the day and send back to childminder day 2 when hes bit better.... But now I am returning to work again from maternity leave and my hubbie works away mon to fri so I thought how the hell will I do this..
So as suggested by someone else I have a minder coming to my home every day.. costing about 100 euro more a week than if I dropped them off but if they are sick she will take care of them here - obviously if very sick I will be here.. BUT yes I had to think of something as no matter what a company will only care so much at the end of the day you are a number.. if you know this you will reall thrive and tip - dont take it personally....

Back