Irish Rail announce 'Budget - Day III'

TarfHead

In addition to Ministers Howlin and Noonan, Irish Rail have announced their own raid on customer's pockets.

Car parking charges are to increase from the current rate of €2.00 per day to €3.00 - a 50% increase.

The increase can be avoided by signing up for an SMS-based service, but there's an additional monthly charge on that service, plus some 'stealth' charges, if you're not paying attention, i.e. 20c per text they choose to send you about the service.

:mad:

[UPDATE]
The terms and conditions include the following "parkbytext shall be entitled to deduct Parking Fees, Account Maintenance Charges and other sums and charges due to it pursuant to the terms hereof, from the funds received from the User from time to time, as the same shall be incurred. The charges which parkbytext may deduct under this clause shall (without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing) include such charges as parkbytext may notify from time to time in connection with misuse or the issue of additional statements or reports to the User."

What does "(without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing)" mean to the average consumer :rolleyes: ? To me, it reads "we'll hit you with additional or increased charges as we see fit".

Did you notice that they have actually taken it down from their website so have no idea what the story is. It was as sneaky as hell to try and get this in under the radar.

In addition to Ministers Howlin and Noonan, Irish Rail have announced their own raid on customer's pockets.

Car parking charges are to increase from the current rate of €2.00 per day to €3.00 - a 50% increase.

The increase can be avoided by signing up for an SMS-based service, but there's an additional monthly charge on that service, plus some 'stealth' charges, if you're not paying attention, i.e. 20c per text they choose to send you about the service.

:mad:

[UPDATE]
The terms and conditions include the following "parkbytext shall be entitled to deduct Parking Fees, Account Maintenance Charges and other sums and charges due to it pursuant to the terms hereof, from the funds received from the User from time to time, as the same shall be incurred. The charges which parkbytext may deduct under this clause shall (without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing) include such charges as parkbytext may notify from time to time in connection with misuse or the issue of additional statements or reports to the User."

What does "(without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing)" mean to the average consumer :rolleyes: ? To me, it reads "we'll hit you with additional or increased charges as we see fit".

Down here in Cork (Ceannt Station) it is €7 per day to park up.

That's being increased to €8.00.

The €2.00/€3.00 is for suburban stations in Dublin. Do you have many of those in Cork :p ?

Reminds me when I was going out with a Dublin girl once and she asked me if we had buses in Cork. (And before you ask Purple, yes we do :D)

Reminds me when I was going out with a Dublin girl once and she asked me if we had buses in Cork. (And before you ask Purple, yes we do :D)

Aren't they just the ones that we donate from up here when we are finished with them??

....says it all really.... just another Dub lacking education

Aren't they just the ones that we donate from up here when we are finished with them??

The ones that are open at the back ? Step on, step off with a pole ? Cool ? Is Cork like Dublin was, 30 years ago ?

This was announced on Monday

First I knew of it was a leaflet under my windscreen wiper this morning.

Budget - Day I. A good day to bury news.

The ones that are open at the back ? Step on, step off with a pole ? Cool ? Is Cork like Dublin was, 30 years ago ?

That's the way I always picture it. Just trying to figure out how they are managing to communicate through the internet from down there. Maybe we gave them a few of those dial up modems as well.

Hi All,

As a commuter, I find this increase disgraceful. 50% increase bears no relationship whatsoever to current inflation rates and (in our carpark) no increased security or services.

I have written a note to our Minister for Transport on the matter although I guess I may as well be whistling in the wind.

Interesting how the carparks have suddenly become Irish Rail carparks when, to date, they were privately operated carparks and Irish Rail would have nothing to do with complaints etc...

Happy Thursday everyone ;-)

you could always pay by text and there's no increase according to the OP above

you could always pay by text and there's no increase according to the OP above

QUOTE=TarfHead;1226476]The increase can be avoided by signing up for an SMS-based service, but there's an additional monthly charge on that service, plus some 'stealth' charges, if you're not paying attention, i.e. 20c per text they choose to send you about the service.[/QUOTE]

Regardless of how you pay, the cost of parking increases next week, though the 50% increase can be avoided.

Back