Motor First time car insurance?

masterboy123

Hi,

I am new in Ireland. I have just exchanged my EU driving license with full Irish license. I am 27 years old and a doctor by profession. I don't have any previous car insurance.
I have been looking for car from 2005-07 year and value at ~3500-4500E.
I have been looking for car insurance and found it to be approx 800E for myself and my wife.
Is there any good insurance company who can provide better rate?

Many thanks

All you can do is ring around the various insurance companies. Having said that,€800 sounds alright for no NCB.

All you can do is ring around the various insurance companies. Having said that,€800 sounds alright for no NCB.
Agreed. Given age, NCB, driving experience here, named driver, professions (?), etc. €800 for the package sounds pretty good. However, having gone through the pain of sourcing insurance for a nephew, here is a starter list you might find useful.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w7le6jzsfl53xf2/Insurance Starter List.xls

It is not up to the usual standard of stuff I release upon an innocent public, but it might help you as a jumping off point. Let me know if you made use of it and any changes you'd like to see (or made yourself) and I'll talk to the mods to see if they could use of it as a key-post.

Good luck searching. :)

Unions often have offers through specific companies for car insurance. I checked the IMO website, and on the page below under "IMO Financial Services" one of the items listed is: "Discounted Car Insurance/home insurance".

http://www.imo.ie/join-now//benefits-of-being-a-membe/

If you are not a member of the IMO, maybe your own union has something similar. I'm not sure how union membership works for doctors.

By the way, it is also worth taking a look at chill.ie as they allow you to compare a few companies at the same time. It is always worth checking the price with the company themselves directly also, just in case it could be cheaper. (I'm in no way connected with chill and have never actually purchased from them.)

thanks everyone for the help.

i am going to contact the insurance companies directly this week.
Cheers

If you have EU driving experience, it MIGHT help it you can get a letter from your current insurers that you have XXX years of claims free driving.

i just exchanged my EU license with Irish one.

I never had my own car previously. I had the other license for about 2.5 years but i was only renting cars on that license and i never bought insurance earlier in my life. Will it make any difference?

If you have EU driving experience, it MIGHT help it you can get a letter from your current insurers that you have XXX years of claims free driving.

My first insurance in own name was with Quinn, far cheaper than any I could get. However they are now gone. Now i'm with 123 (insurance with RSA). I price around each time and cannot get any quotes nearly as cheap as 123. I have no affiliation with them apart from having insurance with them.

... Now i'm with 123 (insurance with RSA). ...
I couldn't recommend them. My experiences with 123.ie included:
  • demands for premiums already paid
  • incorrect vehicle information on insurance documents
  • insurance documents not issued
  • appalling delays in processing straightforward renewals
  • phone-calls not returned
  • insurance documents issued to me for a car I'd sold 2 years earlier.

I couldn't recommend them. My experiences with 123.ie included:
  • demands for premiums already paid
  • incorrect vehicle information on insurance documents
  • insurance documents not issued
  • appalling delays in processing straightforward renewals
  • phone-calls not returned
  • insurance documents issued to me for a car I'd sold 2 years earlier.

+ also charge for temporary policy change for each time car is in garage for servicing etc.
+ €40 charge for permanent car change

Information inquiry, to all please - have just put my daughter (provisional licence) on my car insurance, does this cover her to practice in the vehicle with ANY other licenced driver?? The call centre guy who organised the cover was having a bad day, or something, and could't answer this satisfactorily

You will have to check with the company but I would be practically 100% sure the answer will be no, usually to have extra benefits like that at least a full licence and over 25 is a requirement.

Information inquiry, to all please - have just put my daughter (provisional licence) on my car insurance, does this cover her to practice in the vehicle with ANY other licenced driver?? The call centre guy who organised the cover was having a bad day, or something, and could't answer this satisfactorily

Yes. The person who is in the car doesnt need to be insured in your vehicle so its fine. The law requirement is just that she has to have a fully licensed driver. Insurance doesnt stipulate it.

Back