If you sell your home for 15% above your LPT valuation...

My problem is that Revenue has seemingly arbitrarily decided that if you are within 15% of the top of the valuation band, that's fine, but above that then you under declared your property tax valuation. If the estate agents who valued my house this week turn out to be correct, then my house is now 40% over the top of the bracket that I declared and is worth more than 36% more than my neighbour's house sold for 9 months ago.

I think you're missing the point here. They're not saying being above 15% means you underdeclared! Everyone has to be able to stand over the valuation they put on their property. Revenue are simply saying if a subsequent sale is within 15% then as far as they're concerned that's not materially different. The alternative, in the absence of setting a threshold for accepted variation, is that on EVERY sale there would have to be clarification given... that would make no sense whatsoever.

If its more than 15% then they want to confirm that the original valuation was reasonable. Yours clearly was, so yet again I don't see your problem.

Back