Is there implicit permission to enter tenant's apartment?

amethyst

I got a text from a tenant this morning about hot water not working. I happen to be in the area and want to enter the apartment. Called tenant trying to discuss this. No reply -- she probably is at work and can't reply.

I suppose there isn't an 'implicit permission' to enter under these circumstances? I just have to wait until I get in contact with her?

As far as I know you absolutely need to get advance permission first from the tenant before letting yourself into the apartment. As a renter I would find it quite disconcerting for this to happen unannounced.

Agree with TTI. Since the tenant Txt'd you perhaps you should also txt back? You have the record of dealing with the issue promptly and notes also that sometimes it is inconvenient for people to answer phones about personal issues.

A landlord must have express permission to enter a tenant's home at a time mutually convenient. However, a landlord may enter without permission if there is an emergency.

You should make a note that you tried to contact the tenant, date, time and method in case there is a dispute at a later date.

Back