transfer of property ireland

meohmy

Hi , can anyone advise me please? My dad signed over his Holiday home to me and my brother about 10 yrs ago, in the irish republic , we all signed the documents for transfer , however the solicitor did not carry the transfer through as his firm closed over 2 yrs later.
Can this now be done, if i can find the solicitor that took on the files? it was not a case of the practice changing hands , it closed.
Also would our mother have any legal redress ? considering she lives in the uk and the property was in our fathers sole name only , also they were seperated for twenty yrs or so? (not legally seperated), she was not a permanent resident of this property. would appreciate any advice , thank you very much .

If you contact the Law Society, they keep information on where the files of a closed practice are located. Then get a new solicitor to look at the file and they will advise you on what to do next.

Generally if transfer documents were signed it can still be completed. Is your father dead? You don't say.

As to whether your mother would have any claim against the property, that would be for a court to decide IF she takes an action. Your new solicitor will advise you.

Back