Best place to store pictures/movie clips

Delboy

Any advice on how best to stores family pics/movie clips from mobiles, camera and video camera?

Right now I have them all backed up on my laptop and most of them also on the photobox website from where I occasionally make orders.

But should I really have them on 1 of the cloud storage sites? If yes, which is best?
Or perhaps on a hard disk storage device?

https://www.flickr.com/

1 Terabyte of free storage for video and photos .

I have 7000+ photos and hundreds of small video clips .

Download the app to your phone and you have access to your collection anywhere you have a net connection.

You can set privacy to keep things private

Flickr ain't going anywhere , but multiple hard storage is prudent also.

My favourite external backup drives at the moment are the incredibly neat [broken link removed] ... 1TB or 2TB USB 3.0-powered. (Not the 3TB drive which needs external power). If you don't already have USB 3.0 on your laptops, look out for it on your next purchases. The drives will work fine on USB 2.0 but 3.0 is blisteringly fast.

I always use a combination of both external hard drive and cloud system.

I have 3 x 1TB hard drives which i update on a regular basis. Each one has folders and menus to allow easy retrival of photos. Also each one has an index to save trawlling through folders and folders to look for specific photo / movies. Before putting data on to hard drives I then select (and edit if required) the photos that I intend on printing / keeping and use Dropbox. Great app that also allows you to share photos with whoever you choose. Dropbox gives a free amount of space to start with and this would be fine for most but I have upgraded to more space for a reasonable fee.
This might sound anal but i put one of the hard drives into a fire proof safe so i know that these will be well protected shoud the worst happen - i take alot of photos and movie clips - thats 3 kids for you.

I also use the multiple hard drive scenario as a form of backup. I have three external hard drives on which I backup regularly my photos, music etc. I keep one of these drives in my desk drawer in my office at work. I also have a 2TB NAS (network attached storage) on my home network which I also back up to and which allows other authorised users to access the same photos, music etc. The NAS is made by Western Digital who also provide smartphone/tablet apps that allow me to access my photos on these devices remotely.

Yes, that reminds me it's always worth having one backup in a separate location. (I use Dropbox as well but only for the very "hottest" files due to limited space). I had two backup laptops and two backup external drives -- the house got burgled one night and the thieves tried to make off with a bag containing all the laptops and backups. Only I surprised them and they dropped the stuff and ran I would've lost everything. I'd like to say I now plan for the worst case scenario but I'm still sloppier than I should be.

Forgot to mention too that I use Picasa by Google. Once set up the photos are simple to load up to and you can share as well. Also, like Dropbox, if someone does make off with your laptop you can always access the photos in Picasa from another device. There are good few video demos on Youtube on how to use Picasa.

External Hardrives

Some good advice going on for keeping all important photo's etc. I would like to ask if anyone could help me to decide which external hardrive to buy for recording from a new tv that we bought recently. I am looking at a WD My Book

Product details
Hard drive type: external hard drive
Integrated WiFi: No
Format: 3.5"
Capacity: 4 TB
Interface: USB 3.0
Would this be something worth having for recording (primarily)
Thanks.

Some good advice going on for keeping all important photo's etc. I would like to ask if anyone could help me to decide which external hardrive to buy for recording from a new tv that we bought recently. I am looking at a WD My Book

Product details
Hard drive type: external hard drive
Integrated WiFi: No
Format: 3.5"
Capacity: 4 TB
Interface: USB 3.0
Would this be something worth having for recording (primarily)
Thanks.

I assume this drive will be connected fairly permanently to a desktop computer? If so, this will do the job admirably although you might also look at the WD MyCloud range which would do the same thing but a lot extra also.

If you are looking for something a little more protable, look at the WD Ultra portable external harddrives. PC World and Argos are selling the 1 TB version for €70 at present. A very fast drive for a great price.

Thanks for that tallpaul, but this hard drive is going to be mainly for recording from our TV.

Back