Contributory Pension

dewdrop

A friend started work in Ireland for 4 years and since then she has worked in UK and is nearing retirement age. Is it worth her while to investigate whether she is entitled to any Irish pension for the 4 years she worked out. I know the issue is a bit complicated but was wondering if she should make the effort to get all the information that may be required to process the matter. Any comment/advice would be appreciated

The minimum PRSI contribution requirement for a State Contributory Pension is 520 contributions (= 10 yrs), so her 4 years won't qualify her for an Irish Pension.

She should be able to add the Irish record to her UK record, if extra contributions are needed there for her UK pension.

Thanks for that. When speaking on phone to one of the sections that deal with pensions I was told that when a person now working in England comes to retirement age and applies for a UK pension details of her employment in Ireland will be submitted and the English authorities will contact their Irish colleagues who in turn will contact the applicant re a possible pension from Ireland. Does anyone know if this works in practice?

Thanks for that. When speaking on phone to one of the sections that deal with pensions I was told that when a person now working in England comes to retirement age and applies for a UK pension details of her employment in Ireland will be submitted and the English authorities will contact their Irish colleagues who in turn will contact the applicant re a possible pension from Ireland. Does anyone know if this works in practice?

Yes this is the standard practice throughout the EU. You apply for the pension in the state where you are currently resident, supplying details of all the EU countries you have worked in and they then contact each country and work out your contributions. Assuming the person does not have enough contributions to qualify for a full UK pension, then the Irish contributions should help to increase the final amount payable.

Thanks Jim 2007. person involved has more contributions than required for the UK Pension. In fact I have now learned she actually is in receipt of the full uk pension. In view of what I was told mentioned already can her UK contribution record help her to get some level of an Irish pension? Its possible when she completed the UK claim form she did not mention her Irish employment. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

In view of what I was told mentioned already can her UK contribution record help her to get some level of an Irish pension?

No the objective of the EU rules is to ensure that her contributions enable her to get the max pension available to her in her country or residence. If she had sufficient contributions in Ireland to get her an Irish pension on its own permit, then she could indeed receive both, but that is not the case.

As she already has a full UK pension which does NOT include her Irish contributions she should contact the UK Dept of Work and Pensions to claim the (small amount) Irish Pension due to at age 66. It would very helpful if she had an old PRSI / Insurance number. They (UK)will send you out an application form on request

As she already has a full UK pension which does NOT include her Irish contributions she should contact the UK Dept of Work and Pensions to claim the (small amount) Irish Pension due to at age 66. It would very helpful if she had an old PRSI / Insurance number. They (UK)will send you out an application form on request

She only worked in Ireland for 4yrs. 208 contributions is not going to entitle here to anything, 520 (10yrs) min is necessary now.

But she also worked many years in the UK so she has contributions there (even though they have already been used for her UK pension)

It works in exactly the same way (in reverse) for Irish people who worked a few years in the UK, came back to work many, many years here and have a full Irish pension. They also have a small UK pension.

It appears there are lots of unclaimed small pensions out there

Back