Valuing your car before selling?

familyguy

Hi

I'm just looking for some advice.

I'm putting my car up for sale and I'm not really sure what to price it at.

I've had a look around donedeal and autotrader online and then looked at trade prices in garages for similiar models and there's big variations with the trade prices being the dearer of course.

I know you'll always here..."the price you're happy to accept is the right price.." etc. and I want to be reasonable but I also want to get what the car's really worth, as I really need the money at the moment aswell, so not to sound greedy as such, but I am a little afraid of letting it go too cheap.

I don't really know what way the used car market is right now with the current economic climate.

Do dealers ever buy from private sellers? Would they be worth approaching for example?

Basically if anyone has any good advice to offer I'd appreciate hearing it.

(Advertising isn't allowed on here hence why I refrained from posting the car details etc.)

Thanks.

Have a look at carzone.ie

Look up all the cars matching your year, make and model. Mileage is probably the other major factor e.g. you'll notice a significantly higher prices at the lower end of the mileage range for any given make/model/year.

As you are selling privately you should look at those being sold by private sellers only. Dealers usually give a guarantee, so can charge more.

That should give you a good idea where to pitch it.

Have a look at carzone.ie

Look up all the cars matching your year, make and model. Mileage is probably the other major factor e.g. you'll notice a significantly higher prices at the lower end of the mileage range for any given make/model/year.

As you are selling privately you should look at those being sold by private sellers only. Dealers usually give a guarantee, so can charge more.

That should give you a good idea where to pitch it.

Thanks, as per my OP, that's what I have been trying to do, looking around the used car websites, the dealers seem to be anything from 10 to 25% dearer even in some cases.

Do trade garages source their cars from a dealer network/from the UK
or would they actually buy private themselves if they can make a profit from it?

You could also try the VRT website

https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e1s2

put in your car details, the value isn't always 100% accurate, but it gives you an idea of the open market selling price. You can check a few car details from carzone, donedeal, etc to see how close it is to asking prices, and price yours accordingly.

One thing to keep in mind - anyone seeing an asking price will expect a discount of 10 - 25%. I'd advise putting it on Donedeal with good photos, plenty of detail, and see what bites - ignore crazily low offers/texts, and if you aren't getting genuine calls/interest, lower the price accordingly.

Thanks, as per my OP, that's what I have been trying to do, looking around the used car websites, the dealers seem to be anything from 10 to 25% dearer even in some cases.

Do trade garages source their cars from a dealer network/from the UK
or would they actually buy private themselves if they can make a profit from it?

google "we buy second hand cars for cash" on pages from ireland, should give you a list.

I'd say they'd take a hefty margin though as many do import cars on the cheap

What I have done before is rung the AA, asked to talk to their technical section, and asked for the book value of my car. They don't do cars over 8 years old, but if your car is 9 or 10 years old you can probably knock off a few hundred or so and estimate what it's worth.

HTH

cars are hard to sell at the moment dealers will offer very little, you have to value yours by what other private sellers are offering you need to match yours well eg a diesel can be worth a lot more than petrol, leather seats help a lot and millage.

you will see online most people have cars around the same price per model just go with that to start with but be honest with yoursefl if yours has an oil leak or seats need cleaning or scratches, belts not changed needs a service, when some one comes to see it they will expect a good discount... if you are around the 3300 mark in terms of what is advertised an offer worth taking at the moment could be about 2500 thats the kind of discount people are looking at from private sellers prices. Not sure at the upper end of the market

Put it on for what you think it is worth if you get no calls after 1 month lower it slowly until people are interested..

Back