'Rusted' chrome door furniture - how to clean?

muffin1973

We have chrome door furniture on our front door - it's gotten a bit tatty, rusted for want of a better word. Looks quite mottled.

Anyway, used Silvo on it, but it didn't make any difference and I've since read that that was not the right thing to use - does anyone know any other way of cleaning it??

Thanks,

M

For laquered brass you can use nitromors which removes the laquer and then you polish it from then on, I assume the mottled/ rust is again where the laquer has broken down and i would assume nitromors would do the same job, test a piece first and BE EXTREMLY CAREFUL USING THE NITROMERS. (naturally remove the furniture from the door first)

We have chrome door furniture on our front door ...
I suspect that this may be "chromed" i.e. a chrome-plated base-metal rather than solid chrome. What tends to happen is the base-metal rusts and this breaks the adhesion with the chrome plating and breaks through.

The usual solution is to strip the chrome plate chemically, treat the underlying rust and replate it with chrome. Any other treatment is unlikely to be effective or lasting.

Back