Water Scheme Charges?

L

Louise2009

Hi all... Can you help me, I am a student and I'm doing a project in college and just want to know a little more on the costing of water. I am aware that certain Water Schemes are more expensive than others, i just would like to calculate the Average price per cubic metre in a few different Counties and the difference in council and private or group water schemes.

I would also like to get as much information about the water schemes as possible..

Thanking you,

Louise..

Re: Water Scheme Prices..

Contact the national federation of group water schemes they may be able to help you. Do a google search for nfgws and you will get their usefull web site.

Many group water schemes merely distribute council water and the water is metered to non domestic customers (farmers, businesses etc) at the rates set by the supplying LA.

Some group schemes are operated on a DBO (design build operate) basis by the likes of Veolia. If you contact these companies you will be able to get a range of the charges made.

These group shcemes are community based organisations and some of them are very proud of their achievements over the years. If you were aware of any in your area Im sure they would talk to you.

Re: Private Group Water Supply Scheme Charges?

I paid 1000 for connection in Kerry.

1000euro connection in Co. Limerick and 50euro per household a year upkeep..

".......i just would like to calculate the Average price per cubic metre in a few different Counties and the difference in council and private or group water schemes."

Are you specifically concerned with comparative cost analysis?

As Ajapale has said, many Group schemes are, in essence, distributing local authority water. For example, you may have a hypothesis ( and it is entirely possible that you might be right - though I express no view) that Local Authority cost structures are excessive - but it is also the case that a large number of Group Water Schemes fail to meet prescribed standards. ( though you might well take the view that is not such a big deal - a small amount of pollution is often well tolerated).

In short, if you are doing a cost comparison between the two, I think you would need to be very careful to ensure that you are making the comparison on a like-for-like basis. I suppose this means comparing schemes with similar-cost water sources ( i.e. no point comparing an almost pristine source to one which needs a lot of treatment to be potable), similar distribution networks\population and similar standards of water supplied.

Louise, I joined a scheme in Sligo just before Christmas and the cost to join was €3000 which includes 200 metre cubed (44,000 gals) per year. Supply is metered after that & I am told charged at DOE applicable rate. Seems expensive to what they get in Kerry, the AGM is next week must attend & find out why.

Sorry to hijack - but are the fees of €1000 & €3000 mentioned once off fees? e.g. if you move into a house that is supplied by group water sheme I assume these charges do not apply as you are already 'connected'?

Also, does anyone know - is €50 PA typical for maintenance/upkeep?

Group water schemes will have a once off connection fee. These will vary from about €500 (the physical cost of making the connection) up to over €3,000 (some groups raise some of their revenue from new connections).

Most groups will have ongoing charges. These will vary from a token €10/€50 a year and some up to €150/€200 a year. These charges cover the costs of maintenance, pumping, disinfection, treatment, scouring pipes etc.

Some large private source schemes have meters and charge per cu meter and a standing charge.

I don't pay any service or ongoing costs. It was a once-off payment only.

I don't pay any service or ongoing costs. It was a once-off payment only.

Some groups do not have any ongoing charges for consumers.

This is not to say that the group does not incur any ongoing expenses such as ESB bills for pumps and Chemicals for disinfection. Most groups get an annual subsidy to cover running costs from the department of the environment.

Thanks for all the replies... I am doin general research for my project along the lines of price comparison and the quality of the water in the different locations.. eg. good water flow, unkeeping costs, and if you exceeded the yearly allowance how much would it be per cubic metre, Also i would like to know about how the water is measured and what type of metre (eg.Radio, Wet, Dry...) Plumbing charge (if needed) etc...

Back