What type of car for a second car?

terrysgirl33

We are considering getting a second car when DH goes back to work.

He thinks a triumph spitfire is a good idea, it's a classic car so no NCT, low tax and insurance, and he can do any or all repairs himself. However, it's a two seater.

We have three kids in primary school. I think we would be better off getting a second car that can hold at least the driver and the three kids, in case kids have to be picked up or dropped off and the other adult has the 'big' car. He thinks that we are managing well now, we should be fine with a two seater.

Has anyone any experience with this??

Just to add, this isn't something we are doing soon (AFAIK) but I'm wondering if anyone else has faced this already?

He thinks a triumph spitfire is a good idea, it's a classic car so no NCT, low tax and insurance, and he can do any or all repairs himself. However, it's a two seater. We have three kids in primary school.
You've identified the flaw in the plan already :)

Otherwise, what would that classic car be like in terms of mpg?

Er, not exactly, he'll be hitting fortysomething! The idea is that there will still be a car that can take all of us...

Er, not exactly, he'll be hitting fortysomething! The idea is that there will still be a car that can take all of us...
Things don't always work out that way. There will definitely be exceptions. It's not a logical buying decision. Capacity for 3 people has to be minimum...can go three door still but has to have capacity for 3 if the purchasing decision is logical.

How far will commute be? Going by the logic that you don't need a second car to hold the whole family, it would surely be more economical/environmentally friendly for him to get a bike. Added benefit of staying fit. Or a moped if it's too far to contemplate cycling.

No idea what his commute will be, he's only starting to look for work. The downside to a bike is that a neighbour was killed off one in January this year, it was a shock to everyone :(.

Hate to rain on your husband's parade and I like spitfires as much as the next man, however, I am living that life at the moment, picking up and dropping off kids and I cant see why any family would want to limit either of the two cars to two seats. It just cuts down your flexibility to zilch........A very common scenario in my house is that I'm "dropping off" and my wife is "picking up" "the kids", "their friends" and "the neighbours" and you need two "regular" cars for that. He's on the right track with the classic. Just get one with at least four seats.By the way spitfires are notoriously unreliable. The electrics are woeful.

On the two-seater issue, it really depends on your circumstances. We ran two cars for a period, one of which was a two-seater, and it worked quite well: typically all it took was some swapping at the week-ends to make things work. However, and it's a big one: your circumstances may change: ours did and I had to drop two rather than one daughters to school every day, which caused a major problem: I had to sell it.

Also, I've run about ten classic cars over the years, and you should be aware:

- it is next to impossible to run a classic as a daily commuter car: it will let you down, and it may end up being off the road for weeks (waiting parts or expertise to fix it)

- it will not save you money: what you save on depreciation, tax etc., you more than make up with repairs (and taxi fares - see my first point)

It's best to think of as an expensive toy, that sometimes has a practical use of maybe getting you from A to B.

The cheapest most practical car to run is probably going to be something like an old Micra. Roomy, nippy, huge space for moving moving junk because of the hatchback. Simple to fix, no electronics to go wrong. Don't rust (in general) . Which is probably the least attractive car anyone wants to drive. But you can't have everything.

The halfway house might be something like a older hatchback Golf GTI 1.6, Puma 1.4, Fiesta Zectec S or Civic. But one you go newer you lose the classic running costs, more performance, more running costs, insurance etc. hard to get a clean one too.

Or just accept its not a second car. Its a hobby. Nothing wrong with that once you know what it isn't.

Terrysgirl33
You should have held on to that 1.9 diesel you used to have.
After all it was a great car.

Yes, the 1.9 Octavia was great, but the road tax was crippling, especially with two 1.9 litre cars and one income.

He thinks a triumph spitfire is a good idea, it's a classic car so no NCT, low tax and insurance, and he can do any or all repairs himself.

For me it would have to be a Triumph TR6, but neither are practical as a family car.

I think your DH is trying to rationalise an emotional decision. :D

If you are looking for a practical 2nd car then avoid the Spitfire or indeed any classic.

to support what others are saying- classic cars are in general, a weekend car or something you should be prepared to have off the road for a long period of time (unfortunately I know from experience previously with an old Mini, and now a Spitfire)

Spitfire's are great cars to drive, fantastic fun but they are not practical in any way.

Back