Can all home cinema systems be used with a SKY+ box?

kenken

I was looking at getting a home cinema system but as far as I know, some of these systems only work with the DVD player you get with the system.

Does anyone know if you can connect a SKY+ box to the system so you can use it for TV aswell as DVDs? And if so, is there a particular type of system that I'd be best to get? Does anyone have a system that does this?

Cheers

It sounds like you're only looking at combined DVD player/ cinema system. Would you consider buying a stand alone home theatre system?

The Sky+ boxes (recent ones anyway) have an optical audio output. Any decent home cinema system should have a capable input available.

i have a sky+ box that is years old. its got an optical out port which i have connected to a Sony DAV DZ-260 DVD player with surround sound. its superb. all you need to check is if the home cinema system has an optical port. you then need to buy an optical cable to connect both. this can be got on ebay for a couple of euro. the shops will try and flog you a dearer one.

Hi All,

Similar question - can a DVD home theater system be connected to a standard Sky box (not Sky plus, not HD). Doesnt appear to be an optical port on the box (about 3 yrs old) just audio out/in jacks. Is it worth the effort
Thanks

Yes, the Sky box also has the standard red and white RCA jack for audio output. That will only carry stereo though, not a surround encoded signal.
Leo

Back