Home Just changed insurer - can I claim on a pre-existing issue?

tundish

Hi all -
I just changed home insurer (literally a few days ago) and today I was informed that what I had thought was a minor issue with my floorboards might be a much bigger problem, i.e a water leak, maybe in a central heating pipe. If so, will the new insurer cover some/all of the cost of the fix - i.e. plumbing, carpentry, new wood? Or will they walk away, as the issue existed before I took out the policy?

TIA,
tundish

If you were aware of the problem, the extent is irrelevant, and you appear to have been as you say you thought it was a minor issue, then in my opinion, the new insurer will not deal with it. You will have to try the previous insurer and tell the current insurer as well, if you did not mention it at the time you took out the new policy.

Thanks for the feedback Ravima - early days with the analysis of the problem, we will see what happens.

At the end of the day you were insured the whole time, so see if your current insurer declines it and then pursue your previous insurer.

If the leak has just become apparent, you will most likely get a claim off the present insurer and they can try and seek recovery from your previous insurer. It all depends on how recent and what was reasonably visible

I doubt your current insurers will deal with it as it occurred when insured by your previous insurers. It's one of the reasons why your probably as well off not to keep chopping & changing your home insurance.

Back