Proof of permanent employment required?

shesells

My brother and his partner are applying for a mortgage after a decade of renting and saving. They have found a house which is well priced and ticks all their boxes. Having previously been told that they should have no problem getting a mortgage in excess of what they are now seeking, they have hit a problem with their potential lender AIB - they want proof of permanent employment for both of them.

My brother has been in permanent employment for over ten years but his partner was made redundant at the end of 2009. She has been back at work since February and with her current company since March. She had a potentially permanent job but her contract has an 18 months probation period. Her company therefore won't issue her with proof of permanency until the probation period expires.

So my question is, do all providers require proof of permanency for both applicants? Brother's salary is larger but not enough to get all of what they require. They have savings for a deposit and first couple of months' payments, any advice on how to find a provider who might lend to them?

Most banks won't approve a person on contract or where the probationay period of 1 year hasn't been completed. It might be wise to use a mortgage broker but they will probably advise your brother makes the application alone.

So my question is, do all providers require proof of permanency for both applicants?

I can tell you that the answer is yes for all lenders that deal with brokers - don't know about Ulster Bank and NIB but I would presume them to be the same.

They could try but apparently they underwrite applications just as strictly as the main lenders.

I moved home about 2 years ago and the lending process was a lot stricter than for my first purchase back in 2004.

On the proof of employment, I supplied a letter to AIB saying that I was in 'full-time employment' but they contacted me to say they required a letter stating that it was 'full-time permanant employment'. We also applied to BOI at the time and it was the same with them.

Back