My Solicitor is vey friendly with opposing Solicitor

You weren't dictatorial and your solicitor may have over-reacted a little.

Some professionals can be very touchy if they feel you're questioning their integrity.

If the delay was not an issue I'd say he was within his rights, but it is and you deserve a response.

I recall one distinquished counsel tell a client who wanted a particular (irrelevant ) question asked " if you employ a singer you do not tell him how to sing the song.

He who pays the piper calls the tune. :)

I recall one distinquished counsel tell a client who wanted a particular (irrelevant ) question asked " if you employ a singer you do not tell him how to sing the song.

I would normally completely agree with this. However, my recent experience with a solicitor and other experiences with other professionals means that this is frequently not as easy as it sounds.

There are often cases where you (the client) knows more than the solicitor because of past experiences or experiences of close friends/family.

It's not quite the same as the singer analogy - as when the singer sings, it's a subjective opinion as to how good they are. When a solicitor solicits, it can cost you buckets if they miss a note...

Daisy2012 - note your comments. In the case I remember the question the client wanted counsel to ask would have been completely irrelevant to the case, and would have annoyed the judge,

you dont need to be worry. Most of the times they already know eachouther especially when they are in the same area they see eachother almost every time. I had the same problem, i thought alot about it. I have seen the same in london court and even the same here in ireland. they are just professionals they cant ''eat'' up each other as we are thinking at that moment in the court. In a way we are enemies and filing cases on each others but the solicitors and barristers they are just professionals who deals with each other everyday normally and they dont have any concerns about ''our'' feelings.

I would certainly be keeping an eye on the case and I wouldn't be afraid to express my opinion to the solicitor or indeed barrister in the case.

I was involved in a case recently where my "friend's" solicitor was very friendly with the other side. In my opinion they were in cahoots to maximise the fee and drag the case out as long as possible.

If I had not intervened in the case it would still be going on....not just the case but the lying and cheating too

Solicitor with 'attitude'

When I was looking for a conveyancing solicitor for a property purchase I visited three practices, effectively looking for quotes. I asked the most expensive of the three something along the lines of "tell me why I should engage you even if I find a cheaper quote". I thought this would give the solicitor a chance to point out their particular expertise etc. They did not take this question at all well! Maybe they had no particular expertise? So I did not engage them. If they had given a convincing answer I might well have gone with them even though they were the dearest.

Bottom line: you need to have a good working relationship with the solicitor which includes you being able to put the hard questions and they being able to answer them. If you detect any 'attitude' I would suggest saying a polite goodbye.

Apologies for not updating this thread.

Since my last post I had heard nothing back from the solicitor in question. I contacted them on Friday asking for an update. I was politely told that these things take time and that they believed the opposing side would get back to us in their own time. The same line has been spoken for months and I did smell a rat. All I wanted was my solicitor to instruct a barrister to find out his/her opinions. My solicitor did not want to rush into this for some reason. I asked for my documents to be sent back to me as I felt I was not being represented properly and I needed to engage a different solicitor.

Back