Leasing to the council

nucky

Hi folks,
We made tentative enquiries today about leasing my house out to the local council.
I checked my PTSB mortgage paperwork and it doesn't say anything about losing your tracker if you rent the property but I understand we will lose our interest relief.
The council promise an 80% rental income if you take up the option of a 10-year lease.
We owe 170k, are in negative equity and we badly need somewhere bigger to live as extending is not an option.
Has anybody here dealt with their local council about this initiative and what way has it worked for them?
Thanks

My suggestion would be to get a copy of a standard lease and read through the clauses. There will be clauses that deal with what happens if the tenant damages the property ( there may be a limit on the damage repayment by the council) and what happens if the council tenant leaves the property as regards rent ( among others).

I have seen situations where the house owner finds themselves having to repair a badly damaged house, that a tenant has left in that state, the council paying only a limited sum, but the council won't put in a new tenant until the place is fully repaired and after notice limits in the lease etc. Leases will vary from council to council. Just be sure that you can deal with these problems if they occur and be aware that it can happen.

I have an one bedroom apartment and rent to the Local authority, it has worked out great for me as the rent covers mortgage and it's on a 4 year lease. But from stories I have heard it's hit and miss. It's like any rental, it depends on the tenants, same goes for renting to general public.
The advantage of renting to LA is that you are guaranteed the rent and in my lease even if its empty they will still pay the rent until they find new tenant. Also all tenants are assessed by guard and can't have criminal record.

Back