Bank teller made mistake when lodging my cheque

PatrickJ

Some weeks ago I lodged a cheque for €100 with one of the big two! Unbeknownst to me the teller lodged the cheque as €1,000

I only found this out recently when I received my bank statement and noted €900 was removed from my account only last week by my bank. I called them and I was simply told the bank teller on the day made an error.

Obviously, I would have handed the money back but had the bank the right to withdraw the funds without informing me of the mix up in transaction.

Some weeks ago I lodged a cheque for €100 with one of the big two! Unbeknownst to me the teller lodged the cheque as €1,000

I only found this out recently when I received my bank statement and noted €900 was removed from my account only last week by my bank. I called them and I was simply told the bank teller on the day made an error.

Obviously, I would have handed the money back but had the bank the right to withdraw the funds without informing me of the mix up in transaction.

Yes. They weren't your funds.

The funds belonged to the bank so I personally have no problem at all with what happened. If it happened the other way round, would you not have noticed a little bit quicker than a few weeks? Mistakes happen and no one was hurt.

I would have thought that the Bank would have phoned you to explain ... something similar happened to me with a Bank not too long ago and they phoned me to explain.

If they correct the error the same day or the following day, I think it's fair enough.

If it takes them a while to notice the error, they should notify you.

In fact, come to think of it, they should notify you anyway.

Brendan

Back in the day when a customer made an error we had a standard letter that we sent out to customers notifying them of the error. Many a time we stayed back for hours to locate an error in our day's work. Occasionally we could not find the error but we would keep trying over the coming days with perhaps one person allocated to reconstruct the days's work until the error was found. Customer's were always notified. However they were right to debit your account to reverse the error.

Back