Tips for Copenhagen

• Thread starter Hippykitten
  • Start date
H

Hippykitten

Heading to Copenhagen next weekend (sister and young niece who is 5). Flights are booked but we still need accommodation. Has anyone got some good recommendations? Location is very important and we are flexible re price.
We think that the Tivoli gardens will be a good attraction for all of us. Any tips about this place? Time of day to visit, etc.
Are there any other things that ye think would suit us?
What should we avoid?

Thanks everyone

Boat trip from Nyhavn - there are various ones - gives you a feel for the place.
Petersons Family Garden - outdoor venue with food and beer and music - all ages and very family orientated - its not an Oktoberfest or stag/hen venue!
Little Mermaid - utter waste of time unless you want to "tick the box" - might be cool for 5 year old though - some boat trips go to it - its an easy walk from town anyways.
Accommodation I don't know - I stay with friends.
Christiana and the Red light are slightly off the beaten track so I'd say you'll be able to avoid them easy.
Get a map - its a beautiful city.
Metro from the airport will get you to Kongens Nytorv (Grafton Street) in about 20mins and costs about 3euro i think.
Don't know how you feel about cycling - its so easy to cycle there and safe - raised cycle lanes with their own traffic lights even! I've done the entire city a few times on bike and its easy.

Thank you for your feedback.
I'm not one for "ticking the boxes" on holidays so I'll pass on the Little Mermaid unless we happen to be near the area.
As regards cycling, I hate it so will pass on that one too.
I adore the TV series Borgen and The Bridge-have you gone on the bridge where the series is based upon? Is Malmo worth visiting?
Thank you again

Malmo is a pleasant place to stroll around - quite small old town, sea front etc- though unsure whata fve year old will think.
Train or bus across the bridge -though you can't stop at the half way point and see where the corpse was found in that serial !

Know that the currency is different in Malmo from C'hagen.

We stayed in central Malmo and saved quite a bit on hotel costs. That was when Ryanair flew from Dublin there. One of the many routes axed over the years.

Malmo is a pleasant place to stroll around - quite small old town, sea front etc- though unsure whata fve year old will think.
Train or bus across the bridge -though you can't stop at the half way point and see where the corpse was found in that serial !

Know that the currency is different in Malmo from C'hagen.

lol

Thanks oldnick

Copenhagen was beautiful. I would strongly recommend it.
We took a harbour tour which gave us a glimpse of a lot of the landmarks-posters were right when they said the little mermaid is a bit underwhelming...we would have been disappointed if we had gone to see it in isolation.
We loved the kanst museum (spelling?) it had lots of variety and better still, was free!!!
If interested in literature, would put a visit to Karen Blitxen's house. The walk through the woods to the house is lovely, as is the presentation of her life in the museum. Don't bother with the Louisiana museum nearby-not worth it imho.
We took a day trip to Malmo. Was fine-not as interesting as Copenhagen. In hindsight, we would have gone to Lund instead.
If visiting, start saving as we found it expensive.
Despite this, we would def go again. The friendliness of the Danes is unbelievable!

Tivoli was closed when I visited many years ago out of season. I visited Malmo but not worth the trip save to boast another country for one's list and best bit was the hydrofoil trip there as no bridge then. I enjoyed a trip out to small town of Roskilde by train. Here there was a special museum for Norse longboats that had been discovered in the bay nearby. Other nonchild friendly things to do are a tour of porcelain factory and brewery. The central shopping precinct is lovely and very long. Copenhagan was a city for walking about but walk down boring quayside to see the mermaid was not worth it. She is very small and out on a rock so you do not get close to her.

My sister & her 5 year old really enjoyed Tivoli-came back with a horse balloon which we had with us for the rest of our trip!
I adore The Bridge series so that's really why we wanted to visit Malmo. Everyone suggested taking the bus back but that was a disaster-no one we asked in Malmo could give us any info at the station (they were very unhelpful compared to the Danes) In the end we took the train back-bridge is lovely.

Back