Suspended timber floor or screed better?

johneym

hello everybody,

its an old house an I have just begun a suspended timber floor on the complete ground floor. I work with wood, hence my preference. I have to raise floor level 4 to 5 inches anyway.And the plumbing can run between the joists. All good.
The thing is its a lot of work as the floors are very uneven and sloped and need a lot of packing. Thats no problem but if I calculate my time plus the cost of the timber and plywood its actually quite expensive.
To get a screed done professionally would be around the same cost, and no work for me. Plumbers pipes could be laid before the pour.
If I go with screed, whats the min screed thickness for stability?
And overall, what are the pros and cons between the floor types?

Thanks a lot

if you are talking about putting screed in I'd add insulation boards as well given you have enough depth available.
Screed thickness can be as low as 1-2 cm if the subfloor is stable (which insulation boards would be). You might even consider under floor heating.

I personally would go with insulation and screed any day, more stability and more flexibility in terms of floor type.

thanks irishman,

I will be putting in insulation. Whats a good ratio of screed to insulation would you say? I have about 125 mm to play with.

cheers

I'd second New Irishman. An insulated slab is a massive heat sink, and I'd really think about underfloor heating as well.

For a living room, or constantly occupied room, it is IMHO streets ahead of radiators.

Building reg technical documents are probably a good starting point. for example gives details of the minimum ventilation space required under a suspended floor, any insulation you add would need to allow for this ventilation.

Back