Post graduate diploma in education NUI

Henny Penny

Hi All.
I am toying with the idea of doing this course and am looking for feedback from anyone who has done it or is thinking of applying. How did you gain teaching experience if any?
Many thanks,

HP

I presume you mean the HDip i.e. the qualification for secondary teaching?

If so, getting a place is no pushover but not impossible either. Obviously you're too late for this year but I'd make a few phone calls to the colleges to check when its advertised. AFAIK, all colleges advertise seperately but I'm not 100% sure on that. Its offered in UCD, Trinity, NUI Maynooth and Galway and possibly UL and UCC.

Having a bit of teaching experience is an advantage, but not essential. If you could get some sub-work it'd stand to you. Do you speak Irish by any chance? NUIG runs an Irish language version which is the course I did myself and I would highly recommend it! Even though I ended up not going into teaching, I find the course has stood to me ever since and as a stand alone exercise, was worth doing for its own sake. Best of luck with it.

Hi there,

My other half has just started the course.
For the teaching experience you contact schools (secondary) and get one to take you. 2 1/2 hours per week is what is required. This work is voluntary, but the schools normally offer any sub teaching work to the dip students as they may not have any other income.

To gain teaching experience in the interim you could try doing sub work, or contact the VEC and see if they would give you work teaching an evening class in a particular area where you have expertise, or maybe a centre like a college that teaches PLCs or secreterial.

Back