Civil service job

Tinkerbell

Could you try to get a transfer? Do you have a reasonable amount of work to do? (i.e. are you nicely busy so the day goes fast, but not stressed out busy).

I know that not every public sector job will be perfect and that is what frightens me. Also, there is the perception that the public sector is a cushy no. even though I have seen a lot of people in the private sector in cushy no.s

The reason why I would like the public sector, is that you are not caught for unpaid overtime, and you have regular hours. The fact that you can eventually get part time/term time/career break is great. Also, I love the fact that you can get paid sick leave if you have flu/heavy cold. (I know that some people can abuse this, and leave others to do their work)

Yep I can ask for transfer but because I don't work in an actual Government Department it means wherever I am sent will be very similar. My work is actually quite stressful which was a shock for a civil servant!! Its non stop from 9 to 5 with deadlines, phones, etc. all hopping. When I asked about flexi time they laughed - flexitime applies to only about 50% of all public service areas I was told and ours is not likely to get it in the near future. Also I requested before I accepted the job that they do flexi and of course, I was told they did so my annual leave is 20 days plus two privilege days which occur at Easter and Christmas. I need to be permanent before I can apply for promotion which means two years time and judging by the amount of workmates who are 10/15 years there and still CO, promotion prospects are not rosy. As I said earlier, be aware that the public service covers a multitude of areas, not just deparments, and some are quiet slow to progress themselves into a modern working environment unfortunately. Its a gamble where you end up!

More Civil Service

As mentioned on earlier posts i have an interview for tempory CO position on friday. Did 12 hour shift yesterday with no break and no extra money for it just because i was off today and could no leave stuff in my in box. granted i could have left but i know that it would only lead to phones about this and that today and i'd still have to face the music.. therefore will prob accept the tempory position if offered, at least its 13 weeks employed while looking for something suitable.

*any tips on questions i might be asked
* any one ever heard of such a position being extended to cover maternity leave for example??

It's still no harm to contact a career guidance counsiller. I mentioned I had gone from Nursing to Progaramming - well I spoke to this guy Erik Guiry - he was fantastic, and I have always recomended him to friends, am not sure if he is still doing it..

A girl I went to collage with and later worked with (I was a mature student as was she) - had done radiography and computer applications, and she hated programming with a passion!

I suggested she speak to this guy, she did and he told her that she had three D vision!! That if she had her life again she should have done architecture, but he would not recomend that she do so now! She has very successfully gone in to property development in the UK...

Do you know where I could get his number?

Back