Implications of claiming on "Critical Illness" Policy

mkem

Hi, my wife has had two MRI scans in the last twelve months as she has numbness in her hands and feet at times. Now her consultant wants her to go for the spinal tap as she is almost certain it is Multiple Sclerosis. We have Critical Illness Cover with BoI Lifetime for approx. 60,000 euros. I was reading the info. booklet and MS is covered under CI. I was wondering what are the implications claiming for this as regards insurance in the future.

Sorry to hear about your wife's illness. There probably aren't any implications from claiming over and and above the implications which arise from the diagnosis - ie even if you don't make a claim, your wife will find it difficult to get life insurance in the future now that she has been diagnosed with MS. So there shouldnt be any additional downside to claiming under the policy.

Most likely impossible to insure an M.S. sufferer.

Sorry to read she's contracted it.

Thanks for advice. Her younger (and only) sister has MS also for the last 8 yrs. She leads a pretty good life healthwise and has 3 young kids since her diagnosis. We have 2 kids, both teenagers. I was wondering will they have problems with insurance when they start looking for insurance

If they are healthy at the time of proposal I could not see an issue with your kids insurability.

Hope this helps.

Sorry to hear about your wife's prognosis. If it is confirmed that it is MS it will affect your kids prospects when they go for life assurance.

My mum has MS. When I took out life insurance I wanted ctitical illness cover against MS. I had a very hard battle with the insurance companies to get cover.

Even though MS is not genetic, it does/can occur in "gene" pools where several of same family develop MS. (insurance speak) so having a parent with MS made me high risk. I knewI would be high risk & was prepared to pay a premium for cover.MS is also one of the illnesses on the increase. Several companies would not quote me.

Luckily I had a great broker & sent several stinking letters off to the insurance company complaining about. Upshot I finally got my critical illness cover to include MS albeit I am paying twice the normal for the priviledge. But seeing someone live with MS, your health is your wealth so I am prepared to pay for it.

Good luck & God Bless

Thanks guys, I suppose the best thing is to plan around it by putting aside some sort of savings policy for the kids to soften the blow of an over-hiked insurance policy when they decide to buy a place of their own. Again thanks for info.

Back