Tax Credits for Married Couple

angela59

My husband's tax credit on wage slip is weekly E31.73, he is a director in the company, my tax credit is E31.73 weekly, yearly this is E3300 - I work part-time in same company -we are married with two children. When I do a tax calc on for example deloitte touch tax calculator it is showing that the tax credit should be E6600 yearly for both of us. Would this be correct or does the fact that my husband is a director and I work part time change the tax credits. There are two other directors in the company also, my husband and I have a one third share which is divided between us.

I apologise if the question seems stupid! Just a little confused.

Angela59

You and your husband are not due Paye tax credit because you are proprietary directors(over 15% holding).
If your husband is the 33% owner then you don't qualify because you are his spouse.

I had a look at that tax calculator,and there it appears that even when you tick the proprietary director box and say that your spouse works,there is no box to tick for spouse employed by proprietary director,so it awards a Paye credit for the spouse.

If you are not using all of your tax credit in the year and your husband is on 40% tax you should/could apply all your tax credit to him.

Back