change in working hours

kit

I was wondering if anyone knows if i have a leg to stand on regarding a change in work hours. I'm on maternity leave at the moment & just found out by chance earlier today that the office where I work have decided they want someone there to cover the phones between 8.30 & 5.30. In order to do this in my section there are 5 people so everyone will have to do the shift nobody wants of 9.30 to 5.30 one day a week.

I've always worked 8.30 to 4.30 & normally I wouldn't object too much to the change but my little one goes to bed at 6 (despite my best efforts to strerch her out). As my commute is approx 40 minutes I can't see how I can physically manage this. I'm a single mother btw so can't ask dad to put her to bed for me! :(

As far as I can remember there are no specific hours of work in my contract, will have to double check that though.

I don't believe its unreasonable on the part of your employer to request this, however impractical it may be for you. (Sorry)

feeling for you! i hope they stated your hours in your contract because then you can go by your contract. if hours aren't specified i am not sure what you can do then.
im a single mum, too and my little one used to go to bed at 6pm as well. it gets better with time going on, now she is in bed around 6.45pm but still - it wouldn't be ideal if you're only home after 6pm.

the employer hasn't informed you about these changes, has he/she/ they? by reading your post it sounded like a co-worker was informing you :(

Yeah, only found out from a friend in an e-mail earlier today wouldn't have known until I arrived back in the office otherwise. It's very frustrating as I've been working there almost 7 years and we've never had this issue before. The silly thing is there's always cover there until 5, and in the last half hour the phone hardly ever rings anyway!

They have the right to change hours but there will (or should be) a minimum notice period for change of working hours in your old/current contract

Just had a look at my contract, it doesn't mention specific hours, just that "hours of duty will be discussed & agreed with with you by <manager's name>". No mention either of a notice period, and as far as I remember there was no discussion or agreement of the hours, 8.30 to 4.30 was just how things ended up.

They might have the right to change your hours, equally you have the right to be notified. I would also request a meeting to advise that this will have an impact of your family arrangements and ask for this to be taken into consideration and explore any alternatives.

Imagine the senario that your little one is in creche and it closes at 6.00, who would be expected to pick up your child.

Companies may be under pressure at the moment, but we are all entitled to a life. Sorry about the near rant....................but seeing too much of this at the moment

I appreciate the near-rant CB :D

I e-mailed my direct manager (who I know isn't in favour of this change) explaining the situation and am waiting to hear back from her. I know she'll understand, but the dept head has no sense of work/family balance himself and thinks everyone should be the same as him.

For the last 6 years or so there has never been anyone to cover my calls & the place didn't fall down! All the people I deal with are internal & they all know I finish at 4.30 & if its urgent they have my mobile number.

They know I'm a good worker & don't take the p*ss unlike alot of my co-workers, I have always received the highest percentage performance related bonus they can give out, so it's a bit of a slap in the face to turn around and do this without any consultation.

Imagine the senario that your little one is in creche and it closes at 6.00, who would be expected to pick up your child.

The creche closes at 6.15 so if there's any traffic hold up on the way home I'm in deep doo-doo!

Good move. I am sure if they are reasonable people they will find ways to accommodate you.

Hope it works out.

PS will try and restrain rants for the rest of the day

Back