Beds - King v Super King

Lorz

I had always promised myself a Super King in the new house but I'm beginning to wonder... Are the super king beds HUGE - do they take over the room? Is a king size bed adequate?

Also, I have an oak door on either side of the bed (all skirting, etc is also oak) Would a mahoganny sleigh bed look "out" next to the oak doors?

Is it easy to get bed linen for Super King beds or am I restricted to BT and other high end interior shops?

All opinions welcome!

your biggest problem could be turning the mattress... it's at least a two man (person) job!

I have a King and find it hard to move it with two as it is. Super King linen is hard to find. I personally think King is adequate.

We got a great deal on a super king a few years ago from Argos. Yes they are huge but well worth it if your room can cope.
However you need a friend who can buy your sheets/pillow cases/pillows (yes you need big ones too) in the States or be prepared to spend a lotta cash in BTs.
On the sleigh bed this will add further length to the bed so you really need to be sure your bedroom is big enough.

We have a superking bed, no problem to get bedlinen anymore, dunnes stores even have it usually. Our room is 15' by 20', anything smaller would have looked very small. Great when little people want to share the bed with mammy and daddy for a half hour here and there.

I have a King sized bed, which I thought was big enough - until our 40kg Bullmastiff decided that she wanted to sleep in it too! If you have the room for a Super King, then I say go for it. It shouldn't be that difficult finding bed linen to fit - a quick search on Argos found the following:

As for the mahogany/oak issue ... hmm. I suppose it would depend on the rest of the bedroom furniture. If there isn't any other wooden furniture, then it should be fine. It's only when too many different types of wood are used that it tends to clash.

I assume the following:

double bed = 4'6" wide = 135cm

King = 5' wide = 150cm

SuperKing = 6' wide = 180 cm

????

Then where does Queen fit in????

If it is a 6' bed, then two 3' mattresses are easier to turn than one 6'.

I have a super king bed and would never go back to a king size. I thought it was too big at the start but now, definitely not. I absolutely love it!

As for the bed linen, I haven't found it that difficult to find. Even managed to get a nice electric blanket to fit in Power City. Penneys do nice white/cream king size bed linen and Dunnes sell it too.

I have to say though, its hard work changing the linen on your own....but thats the only down side.

if the room can take it, buy a super king. we had a king size but put it in the spare room when we bought the bigger bed. i don't know exactly what our bed is, because we bought it at an antique auction. it was ex showhouse so had never been slept used. we needed to buy the mattress in a hurry so got the biggest we could find (6 x 6"6) but it's still about 8 inches short of what it should be. someone mentioned "Emperor size" but i don't think it's a proper term tbh. sounds a bit pretentious.not that super king isn't pretentious enough!:D

in the bigger bed, you don't even know there's someone else in the bed with you. it's brilliant.

and there are lots of places to buy linen for it. i got some in tkmaxx and meadows and byrne. go for the highest thread count you can afford. it's worth it.

i use bolster pillows underneath and then three pillows across the top of the mattress so if you buy a set (duvet covers + pillow shams) you should try to pick up a pillow case that will fit in with the rest of the bedding.

We purchased a superking bed about 3 years ago and find it great.It is 6ft and is great when our two kids want to join us for a lazy SAturday morning!

Can be difficult to get nice bedlinen but is easier now. Find TK Maxx good plus a local shop who supplies hotels always have some in stock and even find you can get good deals in some shops on superking as it is not so common.

Superking bed linen is often on sale. I have a superking duvet on my king sized bed to give a bit more cover.

I agree, if your room can fit one in and allow you to move around comfortabely, the get the super king.

Our King size bed here is the same as the US Queen
The Super King here is the US King

I just recently bought a King size solid Oak bed and Pocket sprung Matress with memory foam top from Collins Furniture in Belfast. Great deal, free delivery, they delivered to the bedroom, assembled the bed and took no deposit and payment next day by cc. Prices were excellent aswell and they sent me a brochure by email and I could see what I was ordering before it came. Highly recommend them.

Thanks for all the comments. Good to see the bed linen for a Super King shouldn't be too big a problem. Still concerned about the oak/mahoganny issue....

I think a mahogany bed would clash with oak doors. Going to buy a leather one myself....have been looking around in NI and they are not too badly priced...about 1500 stg.

Lorz,

We have a king size bed but if we could have fit in a superking we would have :D , I always see loads of superking bedlinen in the shops.... We also have oak furniture and I don't think mahogany would sit well with oak at all IMO. Mahogany's so smooth looking, oak (to me) always looks a bit more rustic (for want of a better word ;)).

M

we too have a 6' super king - made up of two 3' mattresses which are zipped together. The sprung beech slats underneath are also two separate 3' wide mechanisms with additional centre support (its a ligne roset if that makes any difference). We love it as both can turn without waking the other and the space is great. Bed linen not a problem even 100% cotton - have bought it loads of places eg dunnes, habitat, online, laura ashley, debenhams etc,

Re wood colours - don't fall for the tyranny of matching everything. Far better to just suit yourself and call it eclectic! we have a mix of modern (eg ligne roset) and antique victorian furniture along with rugs/paintings etc WE like.

Feck all the critics - show off your own taste and personality.

As long as you're happy with your bedroom what does it matter what anyone else would think? Stretch the boundaries and have confidence in yourself - what's the worst could happen?

I too have a super-king, one huge mattrass with two 3' sprung divan bases. The mattrass has memory foam, so is deemed 'no-turn'. Woodbine, where did you get the bolster pillow? Haven't seen them in years.

sorry, i can't remember where i got it. could have been Shaws or maybe even Heatons.

if i see one on my shopping travels (which are few and far bewteen!) i'll let you know.

Back