Just been let go from job and looking for advice.

Chloe101

My employer informed me they won't be renewing my contract beyond my probation period. I finish in four weeks. They told me I wasn't the right fit.

They also advised the reference they write may not be the one I want. I turned up for work, did the job, was never late etc but myself and the senior manager didn't like my work style. Looking back I think they decided early on that they wanted me out. They covered all the bases from a dismissal point of view.The thoughts of working here for four weeks is depressing but I need the cash.

Any advice about what I should do re. my reference, social welfare and finding work after something like this?

Very sorry to hear of your predicament - but maybe in the long run you are better off if there is a conflict with a senior manager. I would ask for a meeting with management to clarify what the problems (as they see it) & then perhaps at the very least you can get a decent reference once you have thrashed this out - don't get annoyed - be cool.
You'll find something else so don't be down over it

I've asked for another meeting.

I have PRSI contributions. When do I apply for Social Welfare, now or after I finish? What do I need to apply?

I've asked for another meeting.

I have PRSI contributions. When do I apply for Social Welfare, now or after I finish? What do I need to apply?

You should apply on the first day that your unemployed. I think you can apply on line for JSB

Any advice about what I should do re. my reference, social welfare and finding work after something like this?

I would not worry to much about the reference, if you have only worked there a short period, then the reference would be fairly basic in any case - I would not expect it to be more than a confirmation that you worked there and what your duties were....

And in any case, since it was for such a short period, you could always just leave it of the resume altogether.

On a positive note, remember that you did get the job in the first place, so you must have a good resume and done well in the interview so in other words you are ahead of most of your peers and I expect it will not be long before you land a new position.

Sorry to hear your predicament Chloe. You will sign on the first working day after you finish at your current Employers, not before then. If they have already given you your P45 bring that, you are generally given an appointment date to return to SW office with the documents they need to process your claim, ie previous years(s) P60, maybe even bank statements if you don't have enough stamps.

I don't know what type of work you do, but maybe you could take this month to register with an Agency who have the roles you work in, there could be temporary or even full time positions on offer.

Personally, I wouldn't ask for another meeting, that comment made about reference sounds to me like the words of someone on a power trip, best not to stoke their fires with attention. But best of luck with your future.

Any advice for how to spend my four remaining weeks here? I was motivated to initiate project but I can't see the point now.

Chloe, my only advice is to continue to work as you have, turn up on time, do what is required of you. A new project may not be the best idea, circumstances could intervene whereby its not completed, best to leave in four weeks without any unfinished business. But also, to not take anything personally and continue to behave well yourself. You don't know what is going on under the radar, could even be a situation where someone is under pressure to hire a family member or business crony in your position.

Good advice from gillarosa there. Be professional and hope they return the compliment.

Shoud you line up interviews for other positions, I'm sure they will be flexible in allowing you time to attend them.

They are not obliged to give you much information about why they're not keeping you on, and may well be advised not to.

I have strong IT skills, ECDL, HTML and basic CSS. I know how to use CMS packages like Drupal, Joomla and Wordpress. I don't have an IT qualification though. My background is media.

Is there a point in applying for IT jobs?

Hi Chloe101,

I also was in your shoes, just a week ago. It's not easy, but you can make it. I know, that it's hard to find something good in all of this, but you are still a great person, an excellent and hard worker and no matters what the reason was, that is thier lost, not yours. As already said, keep your head down, try to not show your emotions, do not make any comment to anybody elses, you know yourself, people who are still there are there becasue they fit the sick culture and atmophere. Focus on keeping your options opened and be kind to yourself. You will see, you will back on your feet. Take it as a hard life lessons, there is lots of bad eggs in any work places. You are in charge with dealing with all that, but you can manage. During my notice time, even that I felt like explode, I showed them that I am the adult over here, I was nice to them and respectfull. I walked out with my head up even that I felt like cry. If, you can afford it, maybe bring some cookies on your last day and say big thank you to the "lovely" senior manager for giving you the opportunity to do this job, tell him that you would be happy to use these experience in your new role. About looking for a job, do not mention to anyone and try to not take time off for interviews, remember, they are nasty and you do need any more stress as you already have.

Hi Chloe.
I wouldn't take it to heart. It's a buyer's market at the moment for jobs. Some company's have a policy of ditching new arrivals after the probation period.
I'd leave a present of a dead rat or similar for your manager when you are leaving :)

Any advice for how to spend my four remaining weeks here? I was motivated to initiate project but I can't see the point now.

They are paying you. You can learn new things. For the next 4 weeks do the best job that you can. It doesn't matter what is going on with the management, you can still do a great job in difficult circumstances. The IT sector is very 'connected' in Ireland so your colleagues seeing you doing a great job may be more use than any management reference.

If you are in Dublin, go to Pitchify tomorrow night, I reckon that there will be lots of IT job opportunities amongst the attendees.

Hi Chloe, Been there and done that and it ain,t easy.. Best suggestion I got ,was to {bite my tongue} approach management and ask for THEIR advice on how you could make yourself more employable. You could be surprised at how helpful they can be.

job finishing up

Hi Chloe,

Many companies are wary of keeping people beyond six months if they think that you aren't the right fit. The reason is that they find it much more expensive and time consuming to let someone go afterwards.

If it is possible to tease through the reasons why they wanted to let you go, then do so.

However, I know this could be upsetting.

The comment that the reference mightn't be what you would want to see sounds somewhat strange. They should have left that unsaid.

For you, it might be a one off poor working relationship. If it is something that they saw which others may pick up on, then that would be a different matter. That would be worthwhile finding out but might be a little hard to accept. On the other hand, their perception might be wrong.

At the very least, you need to learn something out of your time there, that makes you feel more positive.

Regarding your IT skills, you would need to work towards something more tangible than "I'm quite good at x". An ECDL qualification is a first step.

Would you consider doing some pro bono web work to enhance your skills? Volunteer to create a website for a local club or charity, to build up a portfolio. Learn some web server admin skills e.g. Apache, and also some system admin skills e.g. Linux, or other skills. Combine this with PHP and some database skills and you have the much of the skillset to produce an eCommerce website.

There are plenty of online certifications that can be done cheaply without having to go to college.

Look up LAMP development books (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP). You can download all these applications, servers etc. for free and they scale to enterprise grade installations.

This would go well with your CSS and HTML skills and you can get certifications in these skills cheaply on line to add to a CV.

Good luck.
Gearoid

My background is in IT development for twenty years with a number of well known international and domestic companies.

Back