avoid tax on UK pension?

trumpet

Can anyone advise me as I'm about to turn 60 and receive a small pension from a UK local authority. I am resident and work in Ireland (born UK). I will receive a lump sum payment (approx. 9k) and a small monthly pension. Any ideas gratefully received.

Hi,

This depends on your domicile and if you remit the income to Ireland

Can anyone advise me as I'm about to turn 60 and receive a small pension from a UK local authority. I am resident and work in Ireland (born UK). I will receive a lump sum payment (approx. 9k) and a small monthly pension. Any ideas gratefully received.

Your Uk small pension will be added as income in Roi in Euro and taxed as more income.

In short it will be taxed, end of!
No way round it, if it is taken and spent.
However since you are 60 , maybe add it as Additional Voluntary Contribution to your Roi work pension (assuming you have one) . In that way you should have 100% tax relief .
(again I assume you can live without the bit of extra income)

trumpet

Good morning guys and thanks for the advice Gerry. I have a HSE A1 pension and haven't considered AVCs. I can manage without the dosh right enough especially if it means keeping Revenue's mits off it. BTW are AVCs much of a muchness? Will they come after me for the pittance that will be the monthly pension too (2k / year approx.)?

Back