GP visit cost

Hey OP,

Just to confirm what everyone else is saying, that price is ridiculous.

I've had full bloods done recently (tested for everything you can think of). Was given the option of having them done in the surgery for €30 or else being given a referral letter to have them taken from free in the hospital. Also had urine tested routinely on a normal GP visit - cost €50 total.

Make sure your friend does something about this, can't stand hearing these stories of blatant rip-offs!

Hi Rob30, DubShelley and mssmyth,

Thanks again folks for your continuing replies. I am goin on hols so won't be online for a while but will update on my return.

Thanks again to everyone who has taken the time to read this thread.

:)

I live in Cork. My GP costs €50 a visit. Last year I had two blood samples and a urine sample, all in the one visit, sent for analysis. Cost? - Included in the €50 GP fee!

My daughter is in college in Maynooth. She has had reason to visit her local doctor a few times in the last three years. The doctor charges a whopping 20.00 euro.....yes 20.00. There are some really good people out there who understand the student life and how difficult it can be to make ends meet. I think this Doctor deserves a prize for his discretion with students. If my daughter needs to attend our local GP (whom we have been attending for the last 25years) she is charged 50.00.

Not all GPs do bloods test for free. Some do charge a fee for actually taking the sample themselves, as opposed to you queueing at the hospital. Couriers do have to be paid to bring specimens to the lab, disposal of medical waste etc.

My boyfriend works in the HSE and has confirmed that the HSE covers the cost of couriers bringing blood samples to a lab - the doctor does not pay for this! Maybe it varys in different areas but definitely this is the case in Dublin.

Just a quick addition.

My GP fees are €45. Had urine and blood tests (my wife and myself) done before, dont ever remember having to spend more then this for anything, prescription costs included. This is with two seperate G.Ps in Ashbourne and Bettystown, cant legislate for others.

Suppose it suggests that there are "dodgy" doctors like there are in all other professions. This doctor should be reported if they cant give a detailed breakdown of costs (particularly if these costs are not highlighted in their surgery, I imagine there is some rule for disclosure of charges!).

Builders arent the only profession looking to suck the blood from us all!!!

I can confirm this is not the case, local GP surgery only has 2 pickups a week provided by hse!

Back